add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

10+2 Power Phase GPU? Compatible with EVGA Supernova 750W G3?

Nervix
  • 36 months ago

I am planning on getting the Asus GTX 1080 ti Strix for my build but the specifications list the connectors being a 10+2 power phase (Don't know if I am wording it in the correct way) but I don't know what that means. The EVGA Supernova 750W G3 shows many ports from MOBO, CPU, SATA, VGA, AND PERIF (Peripheral I assume). Although I know where the mother board is connected, I am confused about some things so I'll split it into 3 different questions:

1. Would my 10+2 power phase Strix be compatible with said the Power Supply?

2. What port does my hard drive get connected to? Sata or VGA? Same for the Graphics Card

3. What is the CPU, VGA, SATA, and PERIF ports for? They all seem to be the same looking port. Also why a CPU port? I thought the power needed for the CPU would be given from by the MOBO which got its power from its dedicated port.

Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 3 points

The phases just means the VRM's and power delivery. In theory it helps to improve overclock, in reality for pascal it does not. In a nutshell your PSU does not card how many power phases the GPU it has. Said GPU will provide the adequate number of power connectors and your unit just needs to hook up to them. Your PSU, heck a 550w would have not issue with that GPU and mainstream CPU.

Your hard drive gets a Data cable to the motherboard via SATA data cables included with your motherboard. You will then have a daisy chain of SATA power cables from the PSU that will hook up to your storage drives like SSD's and HDD's.

CPU is the port that hooks up from PSU to the CPU power in on the motherboard. The CPU does need its own dedicated power also. VGA is the PCIe cables. SATA is for your Hard drives and SSD's and PERF is just for additional items and cables you may have. Having said that, on the PSU side where the cables hook into, the PERIF and SATA cable connectors are identical. Just labelled to make things simpler.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for the clean explanation. Will recheck and see how much wattage my rig really needs and go 100w upwards from there. Have a nice day.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want a sli future proof psu you might want to stick to the 750w

The strix needs 2 x 8 pins (or 6+2 pins connections)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not a particular fan of SLI because I hear that because not many games support it, it can become unstable as far as getting low minimum fps while having almost double the average fps than with one card. Am I wrong about it? Asking for future reference.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

I have no idea about the minimum. But i know scaling is bad.

For my personal build i have chosen the 750w for security (don't want to replace the power supply if i add a second card).

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Average is never double in most games, only a very select handful see scaling anywhere near that good, scaling is usually considerably less. Minimums are not a massive issue, there can be small minor drops, but the bigger issue is framepacing is slightly worse then a single card doing all the frames so you get very slight microstuttering. Its not massively detectable but you do notice it say if your using SLI, then move to only a single card

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube