add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Win10 OEM with the mobo?

rhombae
  • 38 months ago

I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere, maybe I'm not asking it correctly...

I'm building a budget build for a friend and giving them a great deal on an i5/mobo/ram that I have in a current build (hooray upgrade time!) In this build I had Win 7 installed but then upgraded to 10. I've read that the upgrade from 7 to 10 makes your copy effectively an OEM one, which means it'll be tied to the mobo.

If that's the case, will I be able to install 10 on their new SSD and just reuse the same key on their new system since the cpu/mobo won't have changed? I'll already have a new copy of 10 for my own upgrade, but before I unbuild and then make two new builds I want to make sure I'm not going to just lose a copy of windows.

Thanks.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

reuse the same key on their new system

So like, you'd be using a Windows 7 key to try activating a fresh install Windows 10?. I doubt it.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh, I guess so. Just on the face of it, you're right that seems unlikely to work.

Would it be possible to clone my ssd to their ssd instead, that way the files of windows 10 the key is tied to would move to the same cpu/mobo in the new case? Or would the copy of 10 recognize that the ssd is new and decide not to work?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

Says there you CAN re-activate your Windows 10 licence after a pc hardware change if you tie your licence with a Microsoft account. You can give that a shot.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you upgraded from a full version of Windows 7 your Windows 10 is also a full version. So you should be able to install Windows 10 with your key.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube