add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Power Supply recommendation for Lenovo X315 to accommodate new Radeon RX 460 4GB card

slogans7
  • 36 months ago

I bought Radeon RX 460 4GB video card after being assured by the salesperson at Best Buy that it would work with my current power supply.

Wrong. The new card has dual two six-pin power cables and my PC has no spare power to connect to. I assume I need a more powerful PSU that will power my rig plus the new video card.

I don't anticipate upgrading the unit further so what economical PSU will be adequate to power my upgraded system?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 0 points

Just get a GTX 1050

[comment deleted]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the fault is mine. It is definitely an XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB - two fans, red trim, just as shown in the photo in your links. photo here The model number on the card itself reads RX-460P4D V 1.6, Radeon RX 460 4GB D6 DP HDMI

But I described the connector wrong. It's actually a 4-pin to 6-pin Power Cable. But it's kind of a Y cable, with one 6-pin connector at one end, and then splits into two cables with four-pin connectors at the ends. Sorry for the confusion.

This thing barely fit in my case; it's a lot longer than the OEM card and barely clears the memory slots.

So is the Corsair power supply still the best way to go? Or would I be just as good the with GTX 1050 and not have to buy a new power supply? Money is tight right now.

Thanks so much for your help!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube