add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which headphones should I buy for $100?

npmantilla

31 months ago

Im planning of buying a new pair of headphones mostly for gaming but I also enjoy listening to music at a high quality. I was in between these options:

Corsair Void

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-...

Creative Sound BlasterX H7

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-BlasterX-Tournament-Sur...

HyperX Cloud II

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ref=twister_B00SRW...

The other option I was contemplating was buying the Audio Technica M40X and buying a boom mic from Vmoda.

Can someone please tell me which is the best option? thanks.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I am using audio technica m40x and i love it so far.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing about the M40X is it uses a proprietary locking mechanism for the detachable cable, so you can't just take the Vmoda boompro and plug it in without doing a simple mod. Here is how to remove the little locking clip from inside the headphones, I did this and it was very simple, and now any cable will plug in, including the included cable, it just doesn't twist/lock anymore. Literally took me only a few minutes to do this, and a couple bucks for the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter.

If you want these headphones and can't be bothered to do the little mod to the connector, a modmic will work without having to go that extra step. For me it was worth it because I already had the boompro mic, and the M40X sound great to me, I like that they're tuned flat and don't have crazy bass or anything.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried the HyperX Clouds and really liked them so my vote goes to them.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

:P Thanks!

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want the best option get a pair of open back headphones with a mic. Sennheiser HD 558 goes on sale for $80 often at best buy but even for $100 it's a fair price.

Below that I'd only consider the m40x+mic and HyperX cloud from your list, the other headsets aren't worth it.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Save up a bit more and try HD598s

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Headphones Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones $79.98 @ Best Buy
Other USB Microphone,Fifine Plug &Play Home Studio USB Condenser Microphone for Skype, Recordings for YouTube, Google Voice Search, Games(Windows/Mac)-K668 $21.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $101.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-11 14:39 EDT-0400
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I vote for the M40X and the V-moda mic for best audio, but the HyperX Cloud is good too.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The M40x's have a narrow soundstage and are not that great for gaming. I'd recommend an open back pair like the SHP9500's + Boom Pro or HD 558 with mod mic.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

buy sennheiser brand..those are worthy of your money..dont buy cheap like hyperx,cloud II etc,they broke easily..thanks me later.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Your links are broken (except for the last one), but that's not important since you put the headphone names. :P I'm still voting for the M40X, it's just better in terms of sound quality. But I know the HyperX Cloud II is extremely comfortable, so there's that.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for the help, many of you recommended buying an open pair but, due to personal reasons, getting an open back would be inconvenient. As I saway may recommended the m40 but now I have another dilema. I'm between these two headphones:

The Audio Technica M40X and buying a boom mic from Vmoda. Or The Status CB-1 and buying a boom mic from Vmoda.

I recently found out about the CB-1 and actually found a 20% discount for the headphones on the status website. Between theach two, which one should I get?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube