add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux os for 1.3 ghz celeron m with 1.25 gb ram

bzand
  • 38 months ago

I recived a evermax laptop with a 1.3ghz celeron and 1.25 gb ram(1gb and 256mb stick). The ram is as maxed out as I can without purchasing I jave a 2gb stick but the laptop max is 2gb(2 x1gb) and it went boot with the 2gb. Previously I used chalet os (xfce base) on a core 2 duo and pentium m with 2gb decently. What linux would you guys recommend? Xfce is decent on 1gb ram(iv tried with the pentium m) but if like a little more room as its a worse processor and less ram? Lxde maybe? I want stay ubuntu based. Maybe Zorin os? It is for eclipse, webbrowsing and document processing. I'm currently using tinycore because it is the only 32bit os drive I had on hand, which runs good but I don't see myself using it everyday

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

lubuntu LTS, LXLE and Linux Lite are considered light, compared to Ubuntu.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well yes i knew that just dont know which one to pick

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would reccoment Puppy Linux, which can run on almost anything.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I do love myself puppylinux. First one i ever used. The newer ones might work great but not sure if its a day to day os

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Eclipse? Good luck; that thing gobbles RAM.

My own prejudice would be to install base Debian "testing". During the install process, you'll be asked which desktop environment you want -- GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, etc. Pick the one you like; you can always install another one later, and select between them at the login screen.

Given the (relatively) limited amount of RAM you have, be sure you create for yourself a decent sized swap partition -- at least 4GiB -- and be prepared for the machine to page-swap like mad when you have a number of memory-hungry applications loaded, especially Eclipse.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I gotta somehow use it for projects. I used to run it on 2gb ram with 2-3 chromium tabs open and xfce and it would never use swap. This time i would have to be more conservstive

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, it'll work. It's just that, once you throw Eclipse into the mix, it's effectively guaranteed to thrash. A quick Google for "eclipse memory usage" shows that it's a very common complaint.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd love to use the net installer but my internet is too slow. What about miordi as a browser? Iv used dillo and it is good for lightweight but probably not for me

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube