add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Difference between boot option priorities and hard drive bbs priorities?

majorp09
  • 38 months ago

Want to install win 10 from a usb. I'm comfused because bios is giving me the option to change both to usb and I'm not sure if I should do both. I have a hdd and ssd and im trying to install windows on the ssd. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • -1 points

Not sure what you mean by "bbs" in the title...

Modern BIOSes let you select boot devices in two ways. The first is that you establish the order in which the BIOS should check devices looking for an operating system (the "priority" list). The BIOS checks each device in turn. If it doesn't find a bootable OS, it moves on to the next device. This search takes some time, however. Most motherboards and pre-built systems check the internal HDDs/SSDs first so that the machine will appear to boot faster, but that also means it won't check external devices unless you go in to the BIOS, re-order the list, and save it back out.

The second way is to press the BIOS Boot Menu key on your keyboard at startup (the exact key you press is motherboard-dependent; see your motherboard's manual for details). This will present you with a menu of all bootable devices detected by the BIOS, and allow you to select the one you want to boot from. Your selection is used for this boot only, and is not saved; any previous boot priority list remains unchanged.

Note that if you are infected with Windows 8/10, the boot process may have been modified by Microsoft (because f--- you), and you will need to jump through extra hoops to regain control of it.

In your particular case, you would probably insert the USB stick with the Win10 image on it, press RESET, press the BIOS Boot Menu key, then select the USB stick from the menu.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube