add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best headphones between $300-$400?

Crus4de

29 months ago

Audio specs/equipment makes no sense to me but I'm looking for a new pair of headphones within the $300-$400 price range. I don't have anything to go with it like a DAC or whatever (don't quite know what that is anyway) so that would be needed as well. I know I certainly don't need the best but I'd like to get something that will last since I'm currently just using a corsair void and mad catz F.R.E.Q. 7 daily which aren't comfortable after the 5th hour of playing, etc.

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm no audiophile but I've heard that the Sennheiser HD650 is one of the best you can get around that price range.

For the Dac the Schiit Magni 2 has also been pretty popular.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The Magni 2 is an amp. The Modi 2 is a DAC.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Why are you looking to spend so much? From what you're saying you don't sound like an audiophile. But here's a great list (in USD) since my housemates and I love headphones:

OPPO PM-3 $400 Grado Prestige SR325e $295 Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 $220 Sennheiser HD 598 $160 Audio-Technica ATH-M40x $100 Phillips SHP 9500 $75

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Im not a huge audiophile, I do like the sound quality but the majority reason for that price range is quality and longevity (usually). I've had a headphones last as much as I've paid for them. I tend to save up to get something that can last half a decade and still be great.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah okay. I can tell you that the OPPO PM-3 sounds incredible, but I don't know if it's the best in the $400 range. For someone's who's not an audiophile, I do recommend you get the last one on my list which is the Philips. It's made of hard plastic and metal and the sound quality for that price point is unbeatable. What other headphones have you owned?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I've owned the previous stated headsets which I've been using for around 4 years combined. (Main reason I'm looking again for a new one) Otherwise I've only had a couple others from bose and audio technical (can't remember which ones).

Main reason however it's that price range is the quality level.

Side note For like the 598 or MSR7 do you recommend a dac or amp or anything? Another reason why the price range was up to $400.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see. By the way, if you're looking for gaming headsets, as in headphones with microphones, I recommend getting headphones and a V-MODA mic separately.

Right. So essentially, headphones at 32 Ohms or less don't need an amp, and you could get away with no amp for up to 100 Ohms. Naturally, the higher the impedance is, the better amp you should get. If you really want one, I heard that FiiO E10 is a good DAC/AMP. I'd say that the MSR7 doesn't need one, and the it's optional for the 598. Best thing to do is to get the headphones first, and if you judge it needs and amp, then get one.

I'll just leave this quote here since I couldn't have said it better myself:

It's not that the motherboard struggles with it (by lacking power or such), it's that a different than intended amount of voltage goes to the headphones at different frequencies. The output impedance of the amp/motherboard acts like a voltage divider along with the impedance of the headphones. You end up with different volume levels at different frequencies depending on the headphone's impedance at those points.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

FiiO E10k*

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it possible to get a link to the vmoda mic the only thing that came up for me on there site was headphones/accessories.

I had already planned on a separate mic such as the modmic 5 for ease of use.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind the best audiophile headphones in that price range will easily reveal flaws in music/audio and are not designed to be plug and play. They need an amplifier to provide power to the headphones in order to perform as intended and a good DAC (digital to audio converter) for a distortion free and clear audio signal. Expect to spend an additional $250 if buying new for these added components (Schiit stack for example).

The headphones also produce sound differently and unless you can hear them in person the best you can do is read online reviews . Or for a better understanding, learning to interpret graphs of the headphone's measurements that show their technical performance.

So... if that sounds like something you wouldn't be interested in there's also the option of buying a cheaper headphone that will work well with all kinds of devices and file qualities. Around $100 Sennheiser's HD 558 is a good value and often are on sale at Bestbuy for $80. They have everything a gamer would need: comfort, spacious and detailed sound, good build quality, and a detachable cable.

If you're interested in the higher end audiophile setup it would be doable in your budget but you'd need to buy used components. There's not much that could go wrong with the amplfiier and DAC but the headphones might need replacement earpads.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I am definitely not opposed to learning if you know of a site/articles or anything explaining it please link.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd Recommend spending $100 on a Magni 2 and then if you can find the Sennhesier HD 600's or Hifiman HE-400i's on sale for ~$300 then I'd get those. The 400i's are planar magnetic so make sure you get an amp with a low output impedance (like the Magni 2) . Planar's need the current despite a low impedance.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

What about the HD 650 for 300?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Main concern I guess is would the magni be enough (Audio specs still confused the hell outta me

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The magni 2 can power almost any headphone on the market with ease.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

absolutely. 650/600 are both awesome. 650 being darker with more low end and more laid back in the upper mid and highs.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

My buddy runs AKG 712s with a Schiit Stack V2, sound amazing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube