add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Salvage or Save? Logisys PS480D2

December454
  • 36 months ago

Hello there, so I just picked up an old 775 system that I have some plans for, and with it came the power supply noted above. I don't trust it one bit, especially for this Prescott space heater, it claims to have a max output of either 330 watts or 480 depending on where you read(I doubt it could even handle 300), it's loud, about a quarter of its reviews on Newegg are one-star(many speaking of its failure), and it weighs maybe 2, 3 pounds max. I already have a spare on hand to put in the system, so I was wondering what I should do with this thing. Should I keep it for random use(none of its poor reviews mentioned a failure taking the PC with it) or salvage it for a few fans, caps, and other odds and ends.

Hopefully someone will be more decisive than I. Thank you for the help; all comments are appreciated.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Burn it with fire. Its utter ****. It can only do 300W and less than 200W on the 12V rail so effectively is a sub 200W PSU for modern builds since the 12V rail is used for most parts and the most power hungry parts. It has scary bad build quality, bad enough that it could poof any time. Also the ripple is way out of spec as expected.

http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review/

Regulation borderline.

Ripple control is horrid.

Cannot deliver 330 W, let alone the box’s 480 W.

Major solder ball issues.

Scary-thin wall plug cord.

Secondary rectifiers woefully undersized.

The Logisys PS480X2 surprised me, I was expecting total garbage and I only got mostly garbage. I strongly recommend against trusting this PSU to do much of anything beyond doorstop duty (and really, it doesn’t weigh enough for that either), but it didn’t explode and actually kept the voltages within spec. The ripple control was lousy bordering on horrid. Nothing good can be said about the ripple. The regulation was within spec, just barely.

The soldering is good, other than the potentially fatal solder ball and scrapings. Final soldering rating: “Bleh”

I expected to be scraping carbon off of things at this stage, but as mentioned before this PSU simply refused to die. How rude! In any event, once I cracked it open this is what I saw:

The ripple did away with the spec and headed south promptly once loaded. At 120 W it’s within spec on 12 V, but fails 5 V by 38 mV and 3.3 V by 18 mV. At the closest to its rated wattage I was able to pull, it has violated 12 V ripple by 80 mV, 5 V ripple by 30 mV, and 3.3 V ripple by a staggering 160 mV. So much for being within spec.

This does away with the ability to safely power much of anything unfortunately. It’ll power a computer, but I strongly recommend against trying it. This ripple is not the brief transients that an input filter on a GPU or motherboard can easily mop up, this is long duration, instability causing, ripple.

The ATX spec says that voltage regulation must be within 5% of the rail’s official designation, regardless of load. It doesn’t actually mention that the PSU shouldn’t explode, though I expect they figured it was implied.

All told, the PS480X2 did far better than expected, but still falls well short of an approved badge. It’s almost into “Meh” territory, but the complete mismatch of the ratings and reality, plus the >200 mV of ripple on the 3.3 V rail, land this unit in the Fail category. I strongly recommend paying the extra few bucks to get a known good power supply, you’d be mighty unhappy if your attempt to save <$30 cost you hundreds of dollars in ripple-fried equipment.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can rip out of it.

Also, do you know anything about the company V2 Premier? They made this system and all I know yet is that they are some small white-box manufacturer.

Thanks again.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, first time hearing about them. They must be a dead company since I can't find a site for them or anything.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again for the help.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't exactly have the expertise or need for for that, but I will keep that in mind if I am ever so inclined.

Thank you very much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube