• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Solarr 24 months ago

Hello, and sorry for the weird title, I didn't really know how I should've titled this. So basically, a store near where I live, is currently having a sale on single KingSton 8GB DDR4 HyperX Savage 3000 memory sticks. I'm looking forward to building a PC with 16GB of ram in the future. So I was wondering what will happen if I buy the same 2 sticks of this single stick ram? Will it have a total of 16GB of memory in the end? And what kind of performance difference will it have compared to other Dual Channel Ram kits? Fyi: I'm looking to build a Ryzen 5 PC using the Asus Prime B350 Plus ATX motherboard (It can raise the RAM's speed up to 3200mhz)

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 5 Builds 3 points 24 months ago

Yes two identical sticks will work in dual channel most of the time. Dual channel, quad channel etc is dictated by the motherboard / chipset rather then RAM. Normally RAM sticks are bundled in packs of two and four and can be rated as dual / quad channel specifically which means the RAM sticks have been tested to work together. In some minor cases different batch of the same RAM kit, while on the surface would appear to work, that may not be the case. However this is not mostly an issue and identical sticks will often work fine.

Ryzen does not have a RAM ratio for 3000 Mhz specifically. Right now its 2933 Mhz or 3200 Mhz.

SK6Blue 2 Builds 1 point 24 months ago

another note on Ryzen, of the HyperX line currently only FURY is listed as compatible by Kingston(Impact, Savage, and Predator are not)

SK6Blue 2 Builds 2 points 24 months ago

" I'm looking to build a Ryzen 5 PC using the Asus Prime B350 Plus ATX motherboard (It can raise the RAM's speed up to 3200mhz)"

That just means the Mobo is compatible with ram that is rated to overclock to 3200, not that it will magically allow a dim rated at an OC below 3200 to run at 3200(while in some cases overclocking ram significantly past its rating is possible, it often requires that you significantly relax the timings)