add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU for Mini Box M350

Izhkoort
  • 35 months ago

Hi guys

Can you help me with this? I'm doing a portable multipurpose pc to have on the go, and I came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $72.33 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler $38.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $94.50 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Patriot Viper 3 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $51.98 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.88 @ OutletPC
Case Mini-Box M350 HTPC Case $47.79 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech Keyboard Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard $29.89 @ Amazon
Mouse Genius NX-7000 Wireless Laser Mouse $7.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $398.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-20 09:16 EDT-0400

Which kind of PSU do I have to use for this mini pc?

Thanks Regards!

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recommend an HD Plex unit or a G Unique myself.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know any step by step tutorial? I'm kind of lost with the PSU

EDIT: I found one of the Pico, would it be good a Pico of 160w for this build? or should be more?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Step by step of what? How much is the PICO you found? I prefer G Unique, but it's up to you.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

how it's mounted and work, I'm totally a noob on this, I found one video installing a pico

I wonder if this would work: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT-192W-Adapter-Power-Kit

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It mounts to the 24 pin ATX connector. How much wattage overhead do you want including max spikes?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I saw, the build consumes around 120w, so wouldnt 40w of overhead be enough? what would you recommend?

Also, I don't know if I'm right nor wrong, but the psu has less pins than the atx connector in the motherboard? is that normal?

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

IIRC you need either a Pico PSU or a Thin Mini-ITX motherboard, which has a plug for a laptop-like PSU.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know any step by step tutorial? Has I said to GentlemanShark, I'm kind of lost with the PSU

EDIT: I found one of the Pico, would it be good a Pico of 160w for this build? or should be more?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine. You won't have a ton of overclocking headroom, but the 160W one will work.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I changed the listing to G4560, so it should be fine!

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

That might not be a great idea. You might have to stick with Skylake unless Asus released a BIOS update.

There's only 1 LGA 1151 Thin Mini-ITX board.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I will use ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Motherboard for that, isn't that compatible with both the case and the cpu?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

None, you need a motherboard that supports an external PSU. I'm actually going to hide this case as a result. We only list cases that support internal PSUs at this time.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I will erase the list then (I keep a backup on excel always, so no big deal)

Do you know where I can find help with this kind of build?

Thank you

Regards

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

No need to erase the list. The part is only hidden from new views but anyone with a link can still use it.

You can still seek help here. We don't support watercooling components but regularly have users build them and get advice on their part lists.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks for the help!

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Technically no, as the HD Plex, Pico, and G Unique exist.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are still almost entirely external units.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The HD Plex has an internal AC to DC adapter that can be used.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

G Unique

Interesting.. Its real cheap! I wonder how is the quality. They do say that the boards are made by Delta.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Very good, only units that can handle 400 watts and spikes.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

That how its mounted? Also shoukd i pic a 160w? i choose the g3258 to try to reach 4.0, isnt g3258 choosed because of that and how affordable it is? Thanks in advance

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Its has a terrible bang for your buck since it is out done by a lot by the cheaper G4560 which has much better performance.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the build has the purpose to give me a portable devise that I can use has multimedia station, light work but also a emulation device, being this last one it's focus

For what I searched, although G4560 is better overall, but you can't overclock it to reach the 4.0 ghz, which is highly recommended for emulation devices

With that said, would G4560 still be better compared with G3258 at 4.0?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ghz doesn't not equal performance. There is a lot more to CPU's than just that.

With that said, would G4560 still be better compared with G3258 at 4.0?

It would still slaughter it. It has a whole two threads on it.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, maybe the post I found was too old and the 4560 wasn't released at that time, thanks for warning me about the CPU

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I already corrected my listing

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube