• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tecosaur 1 month ago

I am security conscious and as such would like an extra layer of security since the SAM file has no salt. I am looking to get an ssd as my main drive. I would encrypt the drive but am worried about slowing things down since the Mushkin Reactor (current forerunner for purchase due to cheapness + MLC) has no hardware acceleration for encryption (If you wat to know why I didn't get the 850 evo it's due to a >$100 price difference).

So what's the best thing to do to satisfy my security desires, without impacting performance? Would it be a bad idea to create a small partition for the OS and just encrypt that?

Comments Sorted by:

emoticorpse 1 Build 1 point 25 days ago

How much security do you need?. Are you worried about someone actually possibly taking the drive out of your PC or even resetting your bios/cmos settings? If not then just put a bios password. If you think there's a chance someone will still get to the hard drive then deadbolt the bedroom door.

tecosaur submitter 1 point 25 days ago

I'm just a tad paranoid. I'm not really concered about physical access, but though why not do something as long as it's not overly difficult.