add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help needed in deciding on new PSU

Greydeathangel
  • 35 months ago

Hi, Had a power failure in my machine the other day, and after testing determined that it is most likely the PSU failed.

I want to get the part today at my local Microcenter (st.louis park, mn), and not spend more than $150 on the part.

Here's what I have in my machine for parts.... https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QDbKgL

The acclectic nature of the build is due to getting parts here or there, and was moving an itx build to a atx case.

I'm looking for a reliable, quiet, power efficient PSU...any suggestions? What accessories would I need to get along with your choice? Is there a difference between 8pin to dual 8pin, 8pin to 6 & 2 pin, or 8pin to 8pin power cables?

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Just browsed through the Micro Center website,
The EVGA SuperNOVA G3 series, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 series and Seasonic power supplies should be safe choices.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

G2 SuperNOVA is your best bet.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the replies folks, Got me a evga 750w g2 PSU, the last one that I had lasted forever, and this one hopefully works.

Still having the same issue.

Power on the machine, Mobo beeps once then nothing. No bios, no video. I switched monitors with a spare. Used different cables, but to no avail. Kinda stumped on what to do with it.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

... Mobo beeps once ...

One short beep? If so, that means everything should be in order.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, after monkeying around I found that it might be the Zotac 1080 and not the PSU after all.

Move to Mobo graphics, and disconnected the 1080 and it all booted fine. Move to a gtx460 card and still booted fine and ran with no hiccups.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Just so you know the EVGA G2 750 has a 10 year warranty so if you ever have issues EVGA will take care of you (they have one of the best customer service/warranty). Its an excellent unit.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx

• 35 months ago
  • -1 points

The GQ series is pretty bad, to be honest. You should never skimp on your PSU as that could potentially kill all of your components.

I'd say either one of these

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qZKhP6/seasonic-prime-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650gd

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

They're both great units, though I do prefer Seasonic. The PSU will come with all the cables needed. And they're fully modular so no more dangling unused cables.

Edit: Forgot to add. Since your budget goes all the way up to $15o you could get a 750w unit or a higher efficiency one but that isn't needed at all and both of the PSUs I linked are exceptionally well-built and have long warranties (The G3 has a 10 year warranty IIRC and the Seasonic might have a 12 year one, though I might be wrong)

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

The GQ series is pretty bad, to be honest. You should never skimp on your PSU as that could potentially kill all of your components.

There's nothing bad about the GQ series.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=454

He probably just got a dud. can happen to any power supply.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I got it mixed up with the NEX series, my bad. Anyway, considering his build I would say anything lower than a G2/G3 isn't really fitting.

Edit: not saying a NEX PSU would blow up and kill all of his components, just that spending the extra money on something better is worth it, IMO.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I get it. It's all good.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The GQ series is pretty bad, to be honest.

Wat.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I know. I got my EVGA lineups mixed up and thought we were talking about the NEX series.

My bad.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube