add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What happens if I over draw a lowend psu for too long.

jfish871
  • 35 months ago

In my core 2 duo rig i am rocking most of a antec isk 310-150 case with a included FP-150-8 power supply. The psu is rated at 150 watts, and the system is pulling a little over 200 watts. The fan on the psu is pulling a ton of dangerously hot air out of the unit when the system is under load. I am planning on upgrading to a 350-400 watt psu asap, and I don't need to use the computer all that oftine, because the system is was simply a interest project. This is a older version of the system

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Its going to die pretty fast and will likely damage parts in the process. Don't use the PC until you get a new PSU if you value the build.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH, I've been able to play FSX and Minecraft on this thing all day long and it hasn't blown yet... Although I've probably cut the lifespan of the unit by 90%...

And the system is stable... but so was communism before the end of the cold war, and we all know how that turned out...

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The ripple could easily go out of spec when the PSU is running ~1.33 its rated wattage which is a lot.. You can't see ripple damage right away. You need to worry about it damaging parts and going boom since its not going to last for long under this kind of load.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)

http://www.overclock.net/t/719397/on-ripple-and-its-effects-on-overclocking

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The power supply has no dust in it, and the heat coming out of it smells normal... But luckily when the system is idle the components go into low power mode, and the psu has a chance to cool down... eventually. The next time I can swing by Weirdstuff I will grab a a cute sfx psu of some sort, and whatever other cool stuff they have, and by the time I'm out I will have spent all of the money in my wallet...
But yeah, probs a 3-400 watt psu?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

But if this thing blows it is going to take everything out with it.

THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS.

The Bugle sounds and the charge begins

But on this battlefield no one wins

The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath

As I plunge on into certain death.

Because I can't even get into the bios without forcing a bsod error, so I don't think it has the greatest overvoltage/current protection. Although the PSU itself has amazing fail safes built in so...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube