PCPartPicker

• Register

Can someone explain Optane and the difference between 16gb and 32gb?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Cicero_ 7 months ago

Hi, I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm doing a budget build for a client and he doesn't have the money for an SSD right now. I am debating between saving money and getting an H110 (I have a CPU I can update the bios with) or getting a B250 for Optane support. I've heard Optane is a way of turning an HDD into an SSD, but how exactly does it work?

Does installing a 16gb or 32gb Optane M.2 speed up his whole 1tb drive, or only part of it? What's the difference between the two? What kind of speed improvement is he likely to see with an Optane powered drive versus his HDD or an SSD?

Just realized I posted this in a Memory instead of Storage. facepalm

Comments Sorted by:

A5PECT 1 Build 2 points 7 months ago

It's a "Build your own SSHD" kit. Get an HDD, install it alongside an Optane memory unit, and the unit will frontload data on it based on frequency of use.

How much this improves performance over base HDD speeds depends on what your client is doing with the computer and how they use it.

If it's just basic home PC or office applications (web browsing, video playback, document writing, light data entry) or even light production tasks (small scale 2D graphics, very light video editing), then Optane memory can be very effective and cost-efficient.

If they're doing anything more intensive than that, you'll see diminishing returns. At that point, it may or may not be a good idea based on how heavy their data usage is.

CarpetScooter 1 point 7 months ago

My understanding is that is caches the most commonly used data, so that it can access it faster. I assume a 16gb can cache half the data a 32, and so is less likely to be effective when running less commonly used applications.

WirelessCables 1 Build 1 point 7 months ago

Don't take my word on this, but I think Optane effectively acts as a large cache. For example, if you use a certain program often, Optane might keep files for that program there, rather than on the slower HDD.

In essence, it's an SSHD, except faster. It of course also comes with the same drawbacks - Optane has to learn what you use / access most so it knows what files to move where.

Difference between 16 and 32GB? Well, 16 is 1/2 of 32. So 16GB can hold 1/2 the amount 32GB can.

Just kidding =D

It only speeds up part of the drive - the 'part' (apps, files, etc.) that you use most because it puts those on a fast-loading SSD.

Just realized I posted this in a Memory instead of Storage. facepalm