add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I reuse this ?

Lau_Mimo
  • 35 months ago

So I'm building a new PC for ultra settings with 1080p 60hz monitor. I'm trying to reuse some of my old componants for my new pc and I was wondering if this PSU could be good for the new pc: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fXCwrH/rosewill-power-supply-arc750

I plan to take a non-overclock CPU and a nice GPU (gtx 1060, gtx 1070 or rx 580). I saw that many builds were going for 80+Gold but if I can save the money and put elsewhere it would help.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It's probably fine. The build your describing sounds like something that unit should be able to handle, even given its age.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

But why are other builds take the 80+Gold? Is it safer or something? Why is the Bronze seems obsolete?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It just so happens that many of the "sweet spot" PSUs that aren't super expensive but also very good quality (i.e BitFenix Whisper M, SeaSonic G, EVGA G2/G3) are 80+ Gold. Gold rating itself has nothing to do with safety or quality, only power efficiency - the ratio of output to input power. A similar idea applies to Bronze as well - it's merely efficiency.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

so for the kind of build I want to do is it a good choice or do you have another one to suggest which could be better?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Like I said, it's an appropriate power supply for the build you want to make (a relatively simple gaming rig with a locked i5 and a mid-range graphics card).

You can reuse the one you have if you want to save money. But if you have the budget to buy a new power supply and want to be on the safe side, you can get a newer one.

Listen to 526christian. 80+ rating doesn't determine whether or not a power supply is "good". There are more factors than that.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be fine. The Bronze vs gold is only how efficient it is at converting energy etc. At 50% load you get 85% with bronze or 90% with gold. So you pay 5% extra for the electricity. Do they use better parts to get that efficiency? Maybe, depends on the actual psu etc., but you would then need to compare specific models vs just the energy rating.

Info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube