add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think I almost just killed myself (story/question)

Super5oldier1
  • 35 months ago

(I'm an idiot) So back in 2015, I built my first pc. I got a cheap vevo case and I've found it's china quality fan to be notoriously bad at connecting to my atx mobo( I had a much smaller micro atx before). I got really determined to fix this issue and just almost shocked the hell out of myself. I cut off the 3 pin female mobo connector from the fan and attempted to plug that in like an idiot using tape to separate them. I feel like I'm going to respect my pc a little more from now on because it sounded like a .22 went off. Should my psu be fine as I think seems I got in bios and I've also got in Windows since and haven't found any problems. (Evga nex650g and its 1.5 years old) my asus z170-a also decided to tell me it auto shut off bc of the psu and it may be faulty (more like faulty user) input requested

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 5 points

At the wattage the fan takes you wouldn't have been electrocuted. You might feel a slight tingle but that's about it. Even if you purposely jammed two pieces of metal on the highest draw components on the motherboard it would probably shut itself off before it caused anyone any harm. The more dangerous part is the power supply, sticking some metal in there on the high voltage/mains side could be fatal but unless it was going across your heart or brain the breaker should flip and save you from some nasty burns. But that would be as idiotic as wrapping yourself in chicken wire and shoving two ends into your electrical outlet.

The PSU should be fine, it might've blown a resistor or suppression capacitor, something non-critical. If Windows or anything shuts off after this due to a power issue then you might need a new PSU.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. I have spare evga450bronze for a different pc I don't have all the parts in for yet but it's working fine so far. I think it was more of the unexpected loud bang and the arc that scared the $hit out of me more than actual danger then. I haven't had any issues at all so far but if something arises I'll at least be covered. Think the header will have issues? I turned it off and used some tp to wipe off little burn mark it left on one of the pins (the middle one when you use a 3 pin fan) and have since moved it all from a vevo case-v01 to a thermaltake core x9 where I plan to put an AIO in later on and try to fill some of those unused fan headers on trying to cool this thing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube