add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Guys, should i change this tier 3 PSU?

TraneBoy
  • 35 months ago

FIrst off all, let me start by saying that i never overclocked and NEVER plan to, simply because i can't afford to risk losing money. My rig, which i've been using now for 4 full months:

CPU: Core i7 6700K at stock clocks @ 4.0 Ghz

MB: ASUS Z170-A

Video Card: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair RM 750 Watt

Case: Phanteks p400s

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB

I made the mistake from my stupidity of not researching before buying, so i bought the RM 750 without knowing anything about PSUs. Where i live in Eastern Europe there are only limited brands too choose from, there's Corsair, Zalman, Seasonic, FSP, Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, Cooler Master and that's it.

I bought the RM 750 for €130, which is supposedly 80+ Gold, but now since people say it's tier 3, i thought maybe i break the bank again and look for better options.

So far, according to this list http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html i have a few options.

FSP HYDRO G 650, 650W, 80+ Gold = €120

Seasonic 750W, SS-750AM2, 80PLUS Bronze (M12II EVO Edition 750W) = €110

Seasonic SASS650RM 650W (Seasonic G Series 650W) = €125

As you can see, these are all tier 2 units, though i searched quite a lot to find if there are any tier 1 units in the same price range, turns out those start at €150 and up, and i can't really pay that much for a PSU. Since i have now a 750 W PSU, the first one i'd select is M12II EVO, but it is 80+ Bronze, so i'm not sure. It's also the cheapest. What do you think guys? Is the hassle even worth buying a new one at all?

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't use the crappy tier list, you might as well be asking what a 5 year old thinks of a PSU if you want to go by that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/181252-which-psu-should-i-choose-of-2#cx1926480

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

First things first: Don't use tier lists to base purchases off of. Without explanations for each listed PSU, you're putting all your trust that they aren't screwing up, are actually looking at good reviews, and know enough to even understand the reviews in the first place, all based off a list with mostly unclear methodology packed with vague statements. Not to mention, some reviewers are much more in-depth than others, doing many more tests, pretty much making it impossible to make a useful list simply due to the availability of information from PSU to PSU.

Two years ago, the RM 750W and 850W were updated to be just about the same as the Corsair RMx - a PSU among the best available to purchase, one that's better than even the PSUs you listed. That tier list was not updated to reflect that change for the 750W.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point
  • first things first, ignore that list and don't put too much stock in it.
  • don't get all wrapped up in efficiency, your build will not run within the peak efficiency of any 750 watt unit most of the time unless you run your pc at 100% load 24/7.
  • secondly, the RM 750 is fine as a psu, though discontinued and replaced with a better series. I can't even find it for sale on any EU shop lately. do you have the RM with the orange sticker or is it a white or silver sticker? this very thread would be pretty silly if you have an RMi or Rmx 750 because those are straight up excellent. in any case, you should have proof that you bought it so if you want to switch simply RMA the thing to Corsair and you will receive a new and updated model for free.
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It's yellow(made by Chicony) and i can't RMA, because i ordered the whole system from USA. So it is either i buy a new PSU or leave as it is.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

leave it as is then. it's not a dumpster fire psu by a long shot so nothing to worry about.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Both the newer RM750W/850W and the old ones have identical labels. You're not going to tell from looking at the labeling colors. And really, even if you happened to get the old 750W RM it's still not a huge issue. It was still a good PSU from the beginning, it's just that it had a questionable capacitor choice, something we can't even be sure would be a problem because capacitor lifespan is a more complex issue than merely judging off manufacturer. Even crapacitors can last years as long as the manufacturer is able to make them last longer. And if it happens to die early because of that... Then you would end up getting a new PSU anyway like you considered here, except you would've gotten some use from this one.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

No. For some of the reasons listed but you've already bought it. It's a good PSU. Just use it, there is nothing wrong with it. I agree that those tier lists, while made with some logic and info (I'd hope), are misleading to how little better one is vs the other. IE, it's a drastic oversimplification of specs that, in reality, don't matter that much.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all of you for replying. I was making a choice between buying a new desktop seat for my hurting back or a better PSU. These expensive hardware are making me forget about my health altogether.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube