add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help: 'Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.'

iPhotek
  • 77 months ago

Hi there, I've recently decided I'm going to build my own pc. I've had the part list decided for a while, and when i came on today an incompatibility appeared.

'Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.'

I'm really new to PC building, and I'm partially worried on how this works.

From what I've read I should do the following: Go to the biostar website download the latest bios update for the motherboard on a usb drive from my Laptop. Put it in the PC and start it up press f10/f12/etc to the BIOS

Here is my build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2xgQQ And from there, update it, finding the file.

Is this true? Should I not install my operating system until i updated the BIOS?

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on when you purchased the motherboard, you might not even have to do this. Check what version your bios is first

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I not install my operating system until i updated the BIOS?

If/when applicable, it is a good procedure to update BIOS before installing an operating system. Process to update the BIOS is included in your mobo manual. You can download the manual from the BIOSTAR website if required/desired.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm curious if anyone has had many problems with this. I am also facing this issue as I plan to save about $40 by getting an FX-6300 with an M5A97 mobo.

It would be nice if the 970 chipset had the newer FX compatible BIOS already, but I don't know how to go about finding that information.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Closest guaranteed method would be to contact the store.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I have doubts as to the extent they'd be able to answer that, but worth a try.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If you go on the motherboards manufacturer site, there should be a download bios page to upade the bios. and there are tutorials on yt to help out.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

so all you have to do is update and thats it?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube