add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Give me some options for a PSU

KevinLevrone
  • 35 months ago

Current build below was suggested to me last week, have a tiny bit extra cash and was wondering if I could noticeably improve my PSU for a ~$130 AUD budget. (I could go up to $140 max if it really was a great improvement)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $345.00 @ Umart
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $35.00 @ Scorptec
Motherboard MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard $135.00 @ PCCaseGear
Memory ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory -
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.00 @ Mwave Australia
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card $569.00 @ Mwave Australia
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $95.00 @ PCCaseGear
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.00 @ Shopping Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1467.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-11 03:20 AEST+1000

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

So this isn't built yet? The PSU is decent, an EVGA G2/G3 would be better though. 550w is good for your build but I believe the 650w models cost the exact same, so why not?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just waiting for the GPU which is about 2 weeks away then I'm buying all the other parts from my local store. So the build is not set in stone yet

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Found an eVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 750W G2 80+ Gold Full Modular Power Supply for $149. Although I dont think I need 750W I think it will be good for abit of future proofing down the road?

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

750w is about double what you need, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. If youre comfortable with the price and the 550w/650w models aren't cheaper then go for it

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I can only find the 650W NEX Model on PC Part picker, which is only $20 cheaper

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#sort=a9&m=14

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

The NEX is not as good as the G2 or G3 avoid it

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like my build just got $50 more expensive; story of this build I cant help it lol

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

For you AUS guys I like these 2 seasonic options, iirc they're the same underlying unit but the more expensive model has a lick of paint and semi modular cables, but as your case has a psu cover I'd prolly go for the cheap one :D

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't believe so:

The reviews you linked show that they are the same platform, why the "I don't believe so"?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm.. I just looked at the internals of each and basically spot the difference. (E.g the teapo capacitor). It would be nice to know what exactly makes it the same platform, and what can vary within them while still being the same platform.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Platform refers to the design. Individual components like capacitors, FETs, switchers or merely heatsinks can be changed (or sometimes removed/added as long as the design remains the same) but the whole thing's internal design stays pretty much the same. Something like a different topology or a change in how the rails are generated (DC-DC VRM design, independent or group regulation) even if it's for 3.3V, for example, would be major changes constituting a different platform.

Really, it's easy to identify platforms in most cases. If two PSUs are layed out pretty much the same as another, then they're probably the same platform, or at the very least use platforms that are a slight modification or variation of another (i.e. HXi vs RMi/RMx, where the RMx/RMi platform is pretty much the HXi platform but with slight differences for slightly better electrical performance). If PSUs internally look nothing alike in layout, they're different platforms. Typically, looking at the positioning of the transformers, input filter components, and the coils/VRMs on the secondary side make it easy to identify same or differing platforms at a quick glance.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I guess this also mean a PSU with the same platform as another won't necessarily have the same performance, therefore always best to read reviews specific to the model.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I was incorrect in believing they weren't similar platforms. In fact they are the same platform, just with slight variations in components.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, hopefully still a good option for aus posters then, it's relatively cheap iirc.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, that and the Edison m. Anything considerately higher in electrical performance/quality cost $50 higher besides the cooler master vs at $130.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely go for a EVGA 650w or 750w G2 instead. Similar price, but 100w/200w more, gold rated, and fully modular.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks xPat for the suggestion on the SeaSonic, its only $5 more and with a gold rating.

Anyone else have some feedback on the SeaSonic 550W OEM V3 80Plus Gold compared to Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube