add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I reuse Windows 10 ?

andreidan25
  • 37 months ago

I bought Windows 10 from amazon.com, and I am planning on using it on a build.

Once I put the PC together, I still windows and all the drives BUT I decide to return all the parts for whatever reason.....

Would I be able to re-install windows in any other machines ??

-from my Experiences I was able to reinstall it as long as I have the CD key(XP, Vista, 7)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you activate it with the CD Key you purchased with your copy of Windows 10?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

did not activate yet, I have not opened or installed it.

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

I bought Windows 10 from amazon.com, and I am planning on using it on a build.

That's fine.

Once I put the PC together, I still windows and all the drives BUT I decide to return all the parts for whatever reason.....

Still?! You mean you installed it?

Would I be able to re-install windows in any other machines ?

So you have installed it already.

did not activate yet, I have not opened or installed it.

Um... I thought you have installed it...

Now I am confused...

Anyway, as long as you never used the product key before, you can reinstall it regardless whether it is OEM or full version.

Otherwise, others have already covered what needs to know in general case. :)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

"Windows 10 OEM is intended for pre-installation on a new PC and cannot be transferred to another computer once installed. Product ships in a white envelope"...

i think i got my answer ? Loool

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/phWydC

but from amazon, $92.00

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

got it !!! thanks!

So in other words its better that I wait until I decide on which build I want to finalize.

I am between an i5 6600 or Ryzen 5 1600 build..

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

That is merely Microsoft's OEM policy. I don't think they actually enforce it for individuals.

I have actually done this, MS will prompt you to call them to reactivate the key. I have not had a key rejected yet. As long as you stick to one copy of windows for one machine they seem fine with it.

Source: Personal experience, also this: https://forums.evga.com/Win7-OEM-Key-Reuse-Solved-m1091689.aspx

I've moved OEM copies of XP and Vista to new computers that I've built.

When you get to the activation step, you're prompted to call MS. Sometimes I've gotten an automated system and other times I've gotten a live rep.

I explain that I've either had to replace the MB or that I've built a new computer and disassembled the old one. If dealing with the automated system, the main question to listen for is when it asks how many computers this copy of Windows will be installed on. You have to answer 'One'.

I've never been refused an activation. I've always been honest and told them I'm either upgrading or building a new computer and that the old one has been disassembled and some of the parts sold on Ebay and some used in the new computer.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Question, it just happens that I was looking thorugh my old discs, and I found a windows 7 cd with a key. Would I be able to use if I'm planing to build a new rig?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube