add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are Cable Extensions Bad?

Clemeit
  • 35 months ago

I have an EVGA G1 series PSU, and it seems like it's literally the only PSU that isn't supported by CableMod (since this PSU requires a 24-pin mobo connector, rather than the new 18+10-pin mobo connectors). I can get cable extension though, right? They are cheaper than a replacement kit, so it seems like a decent idea.

But my current cables are already pretty long. Are cable extensions bad? Will they cause an electrical issues? Cable management isn't really an issue - I have plenty of extra room.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

People usually go for full length cable to avoid a cable mess.

If you have the room and the skills to manage the extra length, you shouldn't have issues with extensions as long as they are rated for your PSU.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

Sorry to bother further, but will the cables in the link below work for the PSU I described? They say "these are compatible with every power supply on the market" but I'm hesitant because I've had some recent bad experience with sleeved cables (bought non-compatible replacement cables that only fit the G2 and G3 series).

https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-Basic-ModFlex-Cable-Extension/dp/B01N4C9TYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494525856&sr=8-2&keywords=cablemod+extensions

• 35 months ago
  • 3 points

Looks like its true.

I found the kit on CableMob website and it says the same thing.

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basic-cable-extension-kit-86-pin-series-black-red/

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

That's excellent. I appreciate the help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube