add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 safe for custom PC

shaneosborne
  • 37 months ago

I'm reading a lot of stuff about how "OEM" Windows 10 is unsafe for personal built computers. I'm trying to get an OS to finish up my build and would like to get Windows 10 but all I'm seeing is OEM on Amazon etc. Is this safe? All I'm seeing in the reviews on Amazon are "If you buy this it will go to **** in a few weeks and fry your computer." Etc. Is there a safe way to get Windows 10 for a custom build?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That is ridiculous. Windows cannot "fry" your system... it's software. Anyone saying **** like that has no idea what they are talking about.

OEM Copies of windows are fine. The biggest issue they have is mostly transferability, so in the event you upgrade your mobo or build a new machine and try to use the OEM copy again it doesn't like that. In my experience I have never had an issue with OEM copies of windows having issues transferring or upgrading, any issues you do have can typically be solved via a quick call to microsoft.

Source: I have upgraded my PC twice with an OEM copy of windows.

Edit: https://forums.evga.com/Win7-OEM-Key-Reuse-Solved-m1091689.aspx

I've moved OEM copies of XP and Vista to new computers that I've built.

When you get to the activation step, you're prompted to call MS. Sometimes I've gotten an automated system and other times I've gotten a live rep.

I explain that I've either had to replace the MB or that I've built a new computer and disassembled the old one. If dealing with the automated system, the main question to listen for is when it asks how many computers this copy of Windows will be installed on. You have to answer 'One'.

I've never been refused an activation. I've always been honest and told them I'm either upgrading or building a new computer and that the old one has been disassembled and some of the parts sold on Ebay and some used in the new computer.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

OK awesome. People were just saying that OEM wasnt good for custom PCs but ones that are pre-built. Thank you for the clarification!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

probably just windows 10 "haters"

OEM's are perfectly safe for the OS

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM copies are also commonly (unofficially?) referred to as "system builder copies" for a reason and I'm pretty sure Microsoft even addresses system builders in the license legal jargon, but that could mean anything from Bob in his garage to Dell. Usually the dvd will come with documentation saying as much.

It's intended for people/companies building a computer and in essence taking on the liability of completing the pc product at the system builders risk. It's no more unreliable than the retail version only the retail version is supposed to have far more wiggle room to move a copy of windows from one build to the next.

I suppose if you know you may be prone to replacing motherboards every year or so...maybe retail version is the way to go to cover your bases, but I personally don't build pc's with the thoughts of upgrading that significantly before the next major OS comes along. I can usually get several years out of a desktop before it's completely obsolete hardware and now with Linux I could probably easily squeeze a good 15 years out of a computer barring any future web incompatibilities.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a small issue, and an easily solvable one. Happy now?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

... all I'm seeing is OEM ...

Plenty of stores with full retail versions: PCPartPicker

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube