add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What PSU would you recommend? Tight budget

solson32
  • 35 months ago

Obviously, I have one already selected. But there wasn't much thought put into that selection.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $218.49 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B350M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $93.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card $229.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Rosewill - REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor ViewSonic - VX2457-MHD 23.6" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor $139.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $952.41
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $942.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-14 19:57 EDT-0400

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your PSU budget exactly? At the budget of that build, I would honestly suggest cutting costs in some areas to leave more for the power supply. It is a vital part to the PC and provides power to the whole machine.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

That's about my budget, so where would you cut? I might just wait till more money rolls in but I'm interested in what might be considered the "fat" of this build.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you could always switch to the R5 1500X. It does have superior single core performance, and still a lot of threads. Also, the wifi card you selected isn't actually available if you go to superbiiz's website. You should try the Rev 4.2 version of it.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll be getting an intel wifi/bt card off of jet anyways, but good catch.

I'll have to look into the 1500X vs 1600 more. What is actually lost stepping down to the 1500X? Nothing gaming wise right? Due to the gpu bottleneck. To google I go :)

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

You're likely to actually see an improvement when gaming with the 1500x. Even the more thread progressive games usually aren't gonna make use of the full 12, overwatch for example uses 6.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it worth future proofing through the 1600 or nah?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube