add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Making the Switch :P

AscendedSoldier9k
  • 37 months ago

So I plan to update my pc from windows 7 to windows 10. However, my OS (win 7) is in my 1tb Hard drive and I plan to buy an ssd to hold windows 10.
1.) What will happen to windows 7 in my hard drive if I boot from ssd containing win 10? 2.) Will this save my memory? 3.) What steps do I take?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Nothing. Windows 10 will consider it what it is: data. In fact, you can tell your BIOS to boot from your old (current) HDD so you can boot Win 7 whenever you want it.
  2. How would it save memory? Do you mean does Windows 10 consume less memory than Win 7? I don't think so, and especially not in a noticeable way.

Steps:

1. Install new SSD (while PC powered off)
  2. Unplug old HDD (while PC powered off)
  3. Install Win 10 on SSD
  4. Replug HDD (while PC powered off)
  5. Set BOOT order in BIOS.
  6. Enjoy. :)
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries.

A note: you should unplug your rest of your drive while installing Windows on a target drive because Windows sometimes gets smart and put other files on other drives.

This can be very uncomfortable, since:

• Windows will consume space on other drive(s) as well, not just the dedicated OS drive.
  • Removing a drive (that the OS uses as well, besides its dedicated drive) can prevent your system to boot.

So it's best to prevent anything like that to happen and let the BIOS (thus Windows as well) see only one drive when it is being installed. :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

After installing windows 10 on my target drive, how can i uninstall windows 7 on the hard drive? is it as easy as selecting it and pressing delete?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't "uninstall" windows...

You can delete folders containing Windows related data (Windows, Program Files, Users directory, etc). But it wouldn't completely remove everything OS related.

But the best way to deal with this is to format the partition the OS was installed to.

For this, I partition my hard drive so I keep about 100 GB for OS, and the rest of the drive's partition is for data.

For instance, if I have a 1 TB HDD, I make 2 partitions on it: 100 GB for OS, 900 GB for data. All the data (OS independent) does to the data drive so if I have to format the OS drive, all my data is kept intact.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube