add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC boots to black screen

tweaktweakin
  • 37 months ago

I just built my first PC the other day with windows 10 as the operating system. It was working fine until today. My PC boots to a black screen. I was finally able to get on and saw there was an update for windows so I figured that was the problem. I updated it, but this still keeps happening. If I press space bar then type in my password then I can finally see my home page but all my games and downloads aren't there and I can't click on anything. What should I do? Is this a windows problem or something else? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

So I moved my ram cause they weren't in the right spots hoping that would solve the problem and nothing changed...then I shut down and restarted my computer again and it's working just fine. I'm afraid this is going to happen again though.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

My pc used to do this. Your copy of windows might be corrupted, don't panic though! When your on your desktop, hit the windows key. Type in cmd, and run right click on it and choose "run as administrator". Now type in "sfc /scannow". (leave a space between sfc and the /) It will scan windows and detect and fix any corrupt files, if it finds something, that means this was probably your issue. Once it's done and it says it has fixed the problem, restart your pc (restart not shutdown), should be good.

Please get back to me and let me know if it's still an issue.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

try the GPU in a different slot? is it like a glitching black screen or just straight up nothing even when booting up?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you are logging into your windows user account. I didn't create one when I installed windows 10 but we come in one morning and was locked out of the computer. After we did a restore I figured out that windows had created a user account with a password and booted the local account. What the heck? Have no idea. Near as we can tell my niece had logged into some kind of windows app and it defaulted to her crap taking ownership over the computer. She's like 17 and suddenly had amesha about the entire thing.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Same thing happened to me after updating my Windows when the Wanna Cry ransomware was released (last weekend?).

I left it running overnight doing whatever Windows does. Also, this site may be helpful. It contains the suggestion Gallop67 wrote about too. I did it as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube