add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do i get a key or a disc?

Gizmo_
  • 37 months ago

I was about to buy windows 10 at newegg here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=32-416-892 Would i be getting the key, or a disc? My pc that im building doesn't have a disc drive, so I'd rather have a key. Thanks.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Both. They are not the same. The key is for activating and the disc is just for installing.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on the Q&A on Newegg, they use a disc.

By key, are you are referring to the string of characters needed to activate Windows, or a usb drive? If you buy the OS, you will get an activation key, doesn't matter where you get it (use the list of trusted retailers on this site, Microcenter, or directly from Microsoft). If you have a spare (make sure it's wiped clean beforehand) usb drive with at least 4GB capacity, you can just download the installer directly from Microsoft and use your usb drive to install. You can also order a usb drive already loaded with the installer from Microsoft, I assume some other retailers also sell on a usb drive, just depends.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10?step=Win10Question1

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up downloading off the microsoft site and creating a bootable usb. Installed unactivated. When my disc came in the mail I took the key and activated. From Newegg the key is hidden under a label on the cardboard best I remember.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube