add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case fan to Corsair PSU... cable needed?

shreder75
  • 34 months ago

Morning, all! Something I'd noticed while researching my build was that my mobo only has two fan headers. The case I plan to get has one 120mm turbo fan in the back provided. I was going to get another fan, but then started wondering if I should have maybe a third case fan in there. Problem was how to power it? A little digging lead me to finding out you can run case fans right from the PSU. That's a win. Question is, do I need an adapter or extra cable to do so? I think the PSU has a four pin peripheral connection, but I'm not sure how many pins a typical case fan connection has. Oh, for anybody wondering about the setup, I'd have the fan that comes with the case in back, then I'd probably put another fan (exhaust) on top, and another fan (intake) on the front of the case if it'll all fit. Not that you care, but there it is. Build is linked below. Ignore the dual SSDs. I haven't decided on which one I want yet =D Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $217.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $77.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $113.99 @ Newegg
Storage SK hynix - SL308 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Sandisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card $349.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $38.85 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $37.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan $8.11 @ Jet
Keyboard Logitech - Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1062.16
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $1037.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-23 10:22 EDT-0400

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get one or two of these 1-to-2 fan splitter cable.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

And that doesn't cause any issue with how much the fan draws or their RPM?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no personal experience of the splitter, but it shouldn't be any problems.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the fan, if it's designed to plug into the mobo then you'll need an adapter cable but it might have a molex plug on it that goes directly to the psu.

Ignore the dual SSDs. I haven't decided on which one I want yet

You want the hynix, it's so much better it's not even funny.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming the arctic is designed to plug into the mobo since it's aftermarket? I can't find much info on it. I'm also very limited in what I can browse from my work computer, so that doesn't mean the info isn't out there. More like it is and I just can't find it lol

Thanks for the info on the SSD. Looks like a good buy for much better performance!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh it says it's a mobo connection on the jet page, which would be better as you can control the speed with the that 4pin plug.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

So it can plug directly into the PSU? Sorry, I'm a bit confused with all these connection types lol I hadn't given much thought to the fans until I saw that I was pretty limited with the headers on the mobo. Thanks for the help!

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

it says it's a mobo connection on the jet page

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

K. So it would need an adaptor to go to the PSU. I think I'm straight on this now =D Since that's the case, would a standard splitter work?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube