add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this the correct windows 10

lukelife10
  • 36 months ago

So I'm making a new build and I still sort of new at this and I was wondering if this is the best version of Windows 10 that I should buy. I know OEM is where it is locked to your mobo but is that the one that I can transfer if I need to? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wskwrH/microsoft-os-kw900016

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know of a windows license that's transferable. That's a USB copy. That means your copy of windows comes on a thumbdrive, and when you install it it'll ask you type in a key that's included in the box. It's exactly like installing from a CD-ROM, except it's better because you don't need the optical drive.

You can use the same USB to reinstall your licensed copy of Windows on the same machine, or install an unlicensed copy of windows on any number of other machines. An unlicensed copy runs, but you'll have limited functionality. You can buy another license to "authorize" another installation on another MOBO.

If you're balking at the idea of not being able to transfer licenses you should vote with your wallet and install another OS.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry about that. To clarify I was referring to if I replace my mobo would I still have the same windows or would i have to get it again.

[comment deleted]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube