add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply for a $1200 Gaming PC

Kobay
  • 35 months ago

I'll probably build a R5 1600 + GTX 1070 Gaming PC, so what power supply should I get. The PC build should not exceed $1200 which is no issue if I fit in a 650 P2. Should I save some extra bucks and get a Corsair CX650M or should I spend the extra bucks for a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2? I do know the G2 has a longer warranty but there is 20 buck difference. Is it worth it to spend the extra bucks? Also, the flat black cables of the CX650M looks better in my opinion, though the EVGA 650 GQ also has flat black cables and ... a 5 year warranty? Idk what to choose. But the power supply should have black cables and 650 watts. I only want power supplies from Corsair or EVGA.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

I would say go for a 550W G3 instead.

Its the newest version of the G2 which earned really impressive review scores and is more than enough for your build.

The expect TDP of your CPU and a 1070 goes around 150 so it would be hard to imagine even using the full 550W even with everything overclocked.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I may upgrade my GPU in the future. If I buy a AMD Vega card that pulls over 200 watts, a 550W PSU is enough but the fan would spin faster and louder, but noise isnt aa big of an issue, because I have 2 TVs surrounding my room and my room's wall is made of a thin wall of wood.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have the budget, go for the EVGA g2, G3, corsair RMX, or bitfenix whisper. It is worth it if you can afford it. Why do you need 650watts. You system will likely be fine with 450 of a quality power supply. Also, why corsair or evga?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

650 watts because it doesn't cost that much more, and I have extra room to upgrade to a more power hungry graphics card. Also, I prefer Corsair and EVGA because they are more reliable, not saying that others are bad but they are one of the best out there. Sadly over here (in Hong Kong local stores), I can't find a gold rated EVGA or corsair power supply under 100 bucks, that's why I'm asking about the CX650M, it is 70 bucks. I can order online from amazon but it is easier and quicker if I buy from local stores. For some reason antec is popular here.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

The whole "x brand is more reliable than y brand" thing is frankly complete ********. Corsair and EVGA have put out their fair share of crappy units, as well as their fair share of great units. The same can be said for Seasonic, BitFenix, and numerous others. The quality comes not from the brand, but from the model itself.

Also, Corsair and EVGA don't even make their own power supplies. They get them from other companies such as Seasonic, Superflower, etc. and then slap their name on it.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but I heard Corsair and EVGA's customer service is good. Many people buy Corsair and EVGA's power supplies so I don't think they will be bad in anyway. Cooler master is also OK for me. I just figured out that the CX650M, the GQ, G2 and G3 are good power supplies and they are not that expensive. I know maybe bitfenix, seasonic have good power supplies too but a lot of youtubers recommend Corsair and EVGA power supplies, that is why I trust them more. Sounds stupid, I know.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Interestingly enough, most of the recommended supplies from Corsair and EVGA are actually made by SeaSonic.

The CXM and GQ are good supplies, but they are on an entirely different level from the G2/G3. The G2 and G3 are pretty much as high-end as you can go without getting platinum or higher efficiency rating.

Corsair and EVGA are recommended so often because they have a lot of money that they can devote to marketing and advertising. On their lower-end, they make a bunch of supplies that are "good enough" and they work to provide perfectly fine power to a number of non-intensive builds. My dad, for example, has owned a number of lower-end EVGA and Corsair supplies because they are inexpensive and they work. He doesn't push them hard at all, so outside of a gaming/high-power PC they work. The two companies make a bunch of their profit that way, and it's pretty good profit margins too. They then can use those profits to give the oomph behind marketing their more enthusiast-oriented supplies.

Meanwhile, SeaSonic, Super Flower, FSP, and the other OEM suppliers focus much more on development and distribution. Their business model is focused more on businesses than consumers, and it's the opposite orientation of Corsair and EVGA.

(sorry if that's really wordy and long-winded, but I dunno the best way to arrange all those thoughts, haha)

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

The only times I really accept blanket statements is for Super Flower and the no-namers. That is, I've yet to see a bad Super Flower supply, and have yet to see a good one out of Diablotek/CoolMax/etc.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube