add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Drfeelgood
  • 36 months ago

Hi guys,

I've just put together my new build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZsB7JV

I'm having a few issues with the BIOS. It all works fine until I press F10 to try and save and exit. Then after exiting BIOS the PC shows a black screen and wont let me power it down without pressing and holding the power button/ turning it off at the mains. The next time it boots it will flash CPU and RAM errors and not launch the BIOS. However when I launch it again it will be fine.

What's weird is that I also get this on the next boot if I power it down by just pressing the off button when in the BIOS. So I end up with a cycle of a normal boot with no error messages, and then one where I cannot access the BIOS and have error messages.

CPU temperature 27 degrees steady, no error messages whilst in the BIOS itself the only thing I've tried to change is the XMP which I did automatically not on the advanced setting. But even with this set back to default I still get the issues.

Should I just proceed to boot windows and hope this goes away? I bought 3200 ram which is supported by the motherboard so it seems a shame not to use XMP when I'm having the same issue whether XMP is used or not?

First build so I hope I'm not missing something obvious...

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

It all works fine until I press F10 to try and save and exit.

Does Saving and Exit cause problems or rather the changes your make? I guess it's rather the latter.

Try loading the default settings. Save and exit. Or just Save and Exit without changing a thing (when your system is stable).

If things are fine, then your changes cause instability, not the Save and Exit feature.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Ye it seems to be enabling the xmp profile on easy mode. once i reset to factory defaults it works fine and save and exit works as intended and restarts the bios.

I'm tempted to hop into advanced mode and try with 3000Mhz and work my way down. Am I playing with fire though as this is my first build and I want a stable system over all else, don't plan on overclocking CPU either.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

don't plan on overclocking CPU either.

If you don't want to OC your CPU, why did you spend about 200 - 300 extra quid on OC components?

I'm tempted to hop into advanced mode and try with 3000Mhz

Enable XMP in advanced mode and see if it work.

Setting the RAM speed to 3000 Mhz on its own will definitely lead to instability. For that, you need to adjust RAM voltages as well (higher clock speed needs more power).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube