add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will I be able to OC my MSI 970a G46? (fx 6300)

XDestroyer
  • 77 months ago

I am getting my new pc and I am wondering if I can OC my mobo and CPU? I don't want to overclock it to ultra high clock speeds, the highest I want to OC it is to 3.9 ghz at so it will match the 6350. I will not go above 3.9 ghz.

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine on that motherboard up to 4.1-4.2Ghz with the right cooler. As Silvake said, the VRM's get very hot on 970 boards and cause thermal throttling in many cases.

• 77 months ago
  • 0 points

I wouldn't: the VRM might blow up or something. The 970 chipset is not for OCing. I would get the 6350 if you are sticking with that mobo, or get a 6300 and a 990X/990FX mobo and OC as much as you like.

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

I disagree that the 970 chipset is not for overclocking. I was able to overclock my FX-6300 to a stable 4.5ghz on an Asus M5A97 R2.0. That being said, a 3.9 overclock is a stretch for that MSI board but you should be able to do it.
The MSI only has a 4+1 power phase as opposed to the Asus' 4+2, but both have VRM heatsinks. The MSI will be able to support a small overclock, but if you want to go any higher I would get a different board.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it ok if i use the hyper 212 evo to get it to 3.8 or 3.9 ghz?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I used the Hyper 212 to get mine to 4.5, it should be more than enough. The Hyper 212 Evo is a pretty badass air cooler.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it might be because your mobo might be more OC friendly?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

YEs, I was able to get mine to 4.5 ghz because my mobo is more overclock friendly. Regardless, the Hyper 212 Evo should be plenty of cooling to get your CPU to 3.8 or 3.9 ghz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube