add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard reviews are scary...

gurgy_00
  • 77 months ago

I'm building my first PC and looking at the reviews of mobo's online, the reviews tend to be more negative than other hardware.

I am looking for a mobo for my ivy bridge rig. I'd like to keep it under $150.

Initially the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 caught my eye, but the reviews point out faulty ports.

Any help is appreciated

My Rig

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

most people who are having no problems dont post reviews. so the majority of the reviews are going to be negative.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

I tend to think of it this way: If someone orders a product which works fine, he/she will start using it right away. If someone orders a product that is defective, he/she will post bad reviews to warn others. Now of course if there are a lot of bad reviews, there most likely might be something wrong with the product. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 5 points

Just to add to this - my personal preference is to pay attention mostly to the reviews that are either A) well-written (indicative of an intelligent person who took time on the problem before concluding the hardware was at fault) or B) lots of reviews that are all noting the same problem. It's one thing for a single person to report a problem. But if a bunch of people who don't know each other are all independently reporting the same problem, then you can safely conclude that the problem is specific to the hardware you're looking at. From there, I try to find a professional review that corroborates the same thing if I'm really worried. If I can't find that, then I just try to do a cost/benefit analysis of the supposed problem, and ask myself how willing am I for this particular part to fail. Admittedly, brand name does enter into the equation for me too, though I try not to let it do so too much.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Very well said. +1

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense! maybe I'll just have the bite the bullet.

Returning products are out of the question for me, as I am purchasing my rig in the US and bringing it over to Australia where I work.

Parts over here are more expensive.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

I know how you feel.. Here in Canada, the taxes are way too high haha. :) Good luck though mate!

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

+1 and a whole lot of zeros. I'm sick of paying 13% tax.

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

Less than double what we pay in America, but you also get universal health care, unlike us. Now we're even forced to have healthcare or receive a penalty. (Health care can cost as much as our taxes if not more, so we double it.)

On TOPIC: I looked through reviews tirelessly when I started researching for my build. Like Zac said, most people who get a quality product won't post a review, so a majority are negative, just use common sense and if there isn't a mass hardware problem (such as with the 3.0 Rev of the Gigabyte GA-990FX UD3 causing overheating with FX-83xx CPUs). Then you should be fine, just take a lot of it into account. The people here will give you advice on any MB you choose anyway.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

You pay more than 13% sales tax on everything?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed lol.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

I think that board should work well for you, 70%ish of the reviews are either 4 or 5 stars on newegg. Also, from what I understand, the failure rate for computer hardware is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-5%. I wouldn't be too worried.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

Another thing: never consider the ones about DOA as really negative, unless it's a preoccupying percentage (20%+). It's normal for a few pieces of hardware to be DOA, it happens even to the best companies. You can rma and get a working one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube