add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the latest or best Linux op system?

TrotTiger
  • 36 months ago

PC Going to be used mostly for web browsing, you tube, basic spreadsheets, etc. Very little gaming on this system.

What are any drawbacks to Linux and web browsing? Anything that I would not be able to do?

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

The only limitations may be some streaming sites such as Hbogo probably won't work on any linux distro that I know of. The chrome browser seems to have the most functionality that I've found but a lot of distros are packaged with Firefox. There are a lot of really low resource browsers you can use on linux based systems (Midori) that get bandied about, but they aren't all that useful for a every day driver power user.

There are a few pretty good open source office suites, most of which can also be had on a windows operating system (LibreOffice, Openoffice)...I prefer Libreoffice and use it everyday on my windows computer. Also have it on my Manjaro computer and it works pretty good.

As far as BEST operating system? I don't know that there is a right answer to that. Best being bleeding edge also means it may be a larger learning curve. Best in terms of ease of use may mean something entirely different.

I would stick to a distro that's got a large well supported community at first if you are new to linux operating systems. Mainly because if you do run into issues a quick search usually will link you to someone else that had the same issue that had been resolved by help from that community.

Mint gets mentioned a lot for newer users although I haven't tried it. OpenSuse gets a lot of recommendations on youtube. There is a couple others like Elementary and Cinnamon. Ubuntu has a huge community, I found it kind of disappointing but it may have been the Gnome3 desktop that I didn't like.

I don't have any complaints about Manjaro (Arch based), I was afraid to jump into a Arch based system because it's kind of got this boogeyman thing about it and I'm sure the real DIY versions of Arch are kind of that sheep skin that a lot of distro hoppers like hanging on the wall. I could care less I just want something that's going to work. It alerts me when I need to update and otherwise does what I want it to do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube