add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noctua Air Coolers

ImElkay

73 months ago

What is the quietest and coolest Nocuta CPU cooler? I have heard many good things about the D14, but I don't know what that one is optimized for. I have a silence optimized PC and want the quietest one possible, as long as it still cools well. I probably won't be overclocking extensively. Probably a modest 4.0-4.3ghz.

Edit: I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but they somewhat go together so I though I would ask. What is the best 140mm Noctua fan? Going to be used for airflow, not on radiators or air coolers. I have the Fracal Design Define R4 and want to fill it completely with these fans. Thanks for any response.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

The NH-D14 is arguably one of, if not the best, air coolers on the market. Unless your case can't support it (IIRC the Define R4 supports it) it is the way to go. Alternatives are the U12S and the U14S.

As for fans, it depends on whether you want PWM or not.

PWM: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa15pwm

^This one is a 150mm fan in a 140mm form factor, don't use it at the front intake. If you want a front intake PWM fan, use this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm

Non-PWM: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14flx

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the difference between the PWM and the FLX versions?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

PWM is Pulse Width Modification, or the ability to change fan speed. Non-PWM fans cannot change their speed except for voltage regulation. The difference between the FLX version and the regular fans are the FLX is a thinner fan: a little less airflow. But, it's the only decent non-PWM 140mm fan Noctua offers.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

So would you suggest getting the PWM version?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless the cost is significantly greater, yes. (Your is relatively the same cost, I recommend PWM)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have many fan headers on my mobo, or at least not enough for all the fans. What should I do? Get a 6 channel fan controller with PWM support?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

What is PWM?

• 73 months ago
  • 0 points

I might speak out of the chorus here. If you plan on such a moderate OC, you could get away with buying a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 but replace its fans with one or two Noctuas NF-F12 in push/pull config. That would be an excellent cooling solution and surely silence optimized.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to have the option to go higher as the processor gets older and games require more performance. Thanks for the input, though :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube