add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Motherboard.

Lexoth
  • 77 months ago

This is my build and im basically content with it but i'd really like my motherboard to have hdmi ports. Any suggestions for a good gaming motherboard with an hdmi port?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $149.99 @ TigerDirect
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $32.59 @ B&H
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $224.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $162.99 @ Adorama
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card $735.91 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $27.42 @ Mwave
Case Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $155.97 @ OutletPC
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $46.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) $147.26 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $266.99 @ B&H
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2276.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-13 20:23 EST-0500

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

Why do you need hdmi on the motherboard?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

not many gaming mainboards have onboard HDMI as the AM3+ line of CPU don't have in build GPU to begin with. The AMD APU line are the one that have onboard GPU

Only Intel chipset based mainboard will come with HDMI but it still depends on the mainboard manufacturer

• 77 months ago
  • 0 points

Any suggestions for a solid workaround? The motherboard is out of stock most places right now anyway. Cost wise is there a decent intel chip and board that would work well enough?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would you want a mobo with a HDMI?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

generally the Intel i5 Haswell series will be good for both gaming and editing

you could look at MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming

and for RAM try to look for dual channel kits instead of a single piece

[comment deleted]
  • 77 months ago
  • 1 point

There are no AMD motherboards with an HDMI port that support AMD FX CPUs. Only FM2+ based motherboards which suppot the APU ( with integrated graphics support integrated display outputs )

As for the display out functionality you are looking for as long as the GPU you consider has HDMI or DP ( that you can adapt from DP to HDMI ) you can easily output your video signal from your PC to TV and or Monitor. Both can actually be driven at the same time as the GPU supports multiple display outputs.

I made a few adjustments you may want to consider. Otherwise the build is solid but I would consider getting 2 dimms instead to ensure dual channel operation. Additionally the ASUS GTX 780Ti is faster, cooler and quieter and when paired with an ASUS board both support GOP VBIOS. This allows you to install the OS in native UEFI operation offering ultra quick post and boot speeds.

Switch to Intel offering overall faster performance and better frame latency. In addition low temperatures and superior power consumption. Additionally still allows for additional performance increase through overclocking.

ASUS motherboard offering even more features and functionality than the CROSSHAIR while including integrated 802.11 N Dual Band Wireless with Bluetooth support ( so you do not need a wireless PCIe adapter which would also have only been single band )

This board offers superior USB 3.0 Performance, Superior Fan Control functionality, Additional UEFI options, More advanced USB charging technology and much more.

2 8GB DIMMS to full support dual channel operation ( in addition they are faster in frequency ) This offers a nice bump in performance for applications dependent on memory bandwidth and can provide marginal bumps in performance with some games.

Superior GTX 780Ti offering faster performance and cooler and quieter operation.

Comparable power supply that is offer slightly higher wattage overall though similar performance and also equally quite in regards to its operation.

A dedicated sound card providing even superior performance, quality than that of the SupremeFX audio design on the CROSSHAIR.

A change to the chassis but one that offer great usability and airflow.

Overall build cost is slightly lower and overall probably will come out more quickly and easily due to being all from one retailer as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $40.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $184.99 @ Newegg
Memory Silicon Power Xpower 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $173.95 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $87.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card $736.13 @ Newegg
Sound Card Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $28.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $59.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) $99.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $279.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2227.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-14 21:59 EST-0500

Hope this helps and best of luck with the build.

• 77 months ago
  • 0 points

I've had a laptop with an hdmi port for a while now and i have a nice tv that i like to watch movies on and the like. The laptop is being given to a friend who has no computer once i get the new one setup. I'd really like to still have an hdmi port because netflix. Its not a must but its a nicety I've gotten used to. The easiest way to get hdmi built in to the computer is what i'd like to do.

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

I'm just a little confused Dx, the motherboard isn't where the graphics come from in most computers,unless you have a cpu with integrated graphics(which most AMDs do not). Even then, you picked out a video card, which has the HDMI port on it for you to stream everything that you'd want to your tv just like you did from your laptop, so it shouldn't be a huge problem unless you wanted to downgrade to integrated graphics. I wouldn't recommend that because you'd lose out on quality that the gpu could give you.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

^ This. It seems that you (the submitter) are a little confused - when you install your graphics card, you will be plugging your monitors directly into it. Your graphics card does have an HDMI port, as well as 2 DVI and 1 DP ports. Therefore, you'll just plug your monitor into the HDMI port on your GPU, not on your motherboard.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

Deadoutbreak and gseyffert are right. If you want to watch netflix on your computer with an HDMI port, you'd look for that on your graphics card, because that's where you'll be plugging in your monitors.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube