add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Antec GX700 - A gamer-grade enthusiast case for budget users, at 60$?

johnwaskins

81 months ago

Official Antec GX700 Product Page:

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706394&fid=5022074&lan=us

Product Reviews:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1659/pg1/antec-gx700-case-review-introduction.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5156/antec_gx700_military_themed_mid_tower_chassis_review/index.html

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cases/32734-ant-gx700?showall=&start=6

Now, I'd like to point out that you do get a great case for 60$ with the GX700.

However, as for how the case looks; fugly? Butterface? (I'm not sure if using those words to describe that case if offensive to those words. Apology in advance to those words, if they were offended that I compared them to the case. - EDIT: Now, of course, for those who like the military theme, awesome, it does fit the bill. However, I just find the dual-color front to be hideous; the Corsair Vengeance cases, now those get the military look stylish and strong. This, not so much - dual color should only happen for camo, if you're going for military themes, at least current ones.)

Not exactly beautiful or sexy (like the NZXT Phantom 410, 630, 820, the Cooler Master Cosmos II, the Corsair 650D, 600T Mesh, 500D) ... but for a budget build that's about performance over looks, this is the case to get. Remember, if you're only paying 60$, your typical options can be summed up like this:

"Great Temps, Great Acoustics, Great Features, Great Looks. Pick Three."

(normally, though, we have to pick two for 60$, or 3 for 120$)

Comments

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks promising but I have a thing about cases not having the cable management grommets so it's a no go from my point of view, however if you are not so bothered about this then it is a great case I'd say.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. Although, it should be noted that cable management grommets aren't really necessary to reduce vibrations, and if the edges of the metal aren't sharp enough to harm you or damage your cables, then it shouldn't make much of a difference. Cable management grommets are more of a luxury item for those 100$+ cases.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree they are a luxury but if you have a case with a side window it's always nice to have those grommets installed (I have OCD when it comes to cable management) otherwise it just doesn't look right in my eyes.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, remember, cable management shouldn't be about rubber grommets in your case.

It should be about keeping cables as organized as possible, with as few visible cables as possible. Meaning, group cables together by using zip ties, fasten them to case using those same ties, and keep them very close to the case. Hide the cables behind the motherboard when possible.

Also, make sure the air flow and visual organization of your case is as elegant as minimalistic as possible.

Now, I think it would be possible to add those rubber grommets to the Antec GX700, better fans, more fans, a better (stepless) fan controller, better appearance, and some luxury features. While still keeping in in budget, mind you.

I think you could make a GX 900 that would be comparable to something between a Phantom 410 and a Phantom 630, for around 120$, with features making it closer to a Phantom 630 than Phantom 410.

And with proper sound dampening (like what they did in the P280, of the Fractal Design Define series), it would be absolutely epic. With fan filters (like what we see in the Corsair 550D), it would be even better.

Still, all the little things that could make this case even better. It truly is an awesome case for gamers on a budget - but it's still a budget case, no matter how you look at it. I'd like to see a better version come out soon, and maybe an Antec GX500 come out too.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

As a military buff and engineer, I think the case aesthetic is awesome. But I also think having a side window on your case and LEDs for your fan (introducing a structural weakness for ostentatiousness and increasing power draw? Bah!) Form follows function after all :D

That said, I'm a little worried about some of the cables being too short as mentioned ins some reviews. Is this an issue with only the smaller mobos or does it affect full ATX mobos as well?

There's also a GX500 case out now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129191&nm_mc=HookLogic&cm_mmc=HookLogic-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-Antec-_-11129191

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube