add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headaches looking at ASUS PG348Q?!?

Essex23

24 months ago

Anyone else ever experienced this before? I have been dreaming of getting one of these monitors for months, and when I finally found one on display at my local Microcenter, I literally got a raging headache bordering on migraine within a few minutes of watching it.

Not sure if it was the insane resolution or what....but now I am rethinking getting a 3440x1440 monitor and going with a 21:9 2560x1080 like the LG 29UC97C-B

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe you were just mesmerized by the beauty and you couldn't handle the resolution of the monitor lol

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I think I experienced the same thing you did. I was initially using a vga display on my 900p monitor (My old rig was pretty old lol). Once I upgraded it, I started using the dvi display of the same 900p monitor which showed a brighter and sharper image. I started getting headaches which lead to some nauseating experiences. It took me a few weeks to adjust but eventually I got used to it. You might want to turn down the brightness, it helped me cope with the display.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a wide. You have to adjust. Try turning the blue light down. :) happened to me when i went from 21 to 27 ;)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe it's the high refresh rate.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If anything the high refresh rate would eliminate that, no it is either input lag or he has flicker free mode off, or perhaps some other issue

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Others have suggested that might be one of my issues as well. I mean, I'm currently using a 24" Samsung SynchMaster HDTV as a monitor (for lack of being able to afford a regular monitor at the time), so anything is going to be a major upgrade for me at this point.

But not at the cost of migraines and nausea. lol Of course, it might also have a bit to do with the fact that I also have photophobia (and no, that's not a fear of pictures. lol), so maybe turning the brightness AND blue light down would help. But I think after this experience, I am leaning towards the LG 29" curved ultrawide. I've seen that one several times and not had any issues thus far.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I use a 3440x1440p Samsung with a 60hz refresh rate. I actually had the opposite reaction when I moved from 1080p. I got headaches after long usages. I have a bad tendency to squint, and I thought that would get worse going to 3440x1440p. But I increased the font sizes a little, and the whole layout seemed far more natural.

Did you find yourself squinting at the screen @ Microcenter. Next time your back at Microcenter, see if you can adjust scaling to 115% or 125% (this is what I use). Made a WORLD of difference for me.

I've found going back to standard monitors (and even my big screen) very difficult. The transition back is harder to adjust to.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Which monitor do you have by the way? Sounds like the kind of one I want to get :)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm currently using a Samsung - S34E790C 34.0" 3440x1440 60Hz Monitor and I honestly do NOT recommend it. Out of the box color was a huge issue. Using the built in adjustments to try and fix picture quality turned out to be a giant waste of time and got me know where. I actually wound up sending it back for a replacement because it was so bad. I honestly thought it was a broken monitor. But the second one had the exact same issues. I would have been super bummed if I had paid, but luckily I didn't even pay half the original MSRP.

In the end, I wound up forking out a few bucks to get a decent color calibrator and spent almost 5 months getting color to an acceptable level, and still isn't as good as I think it should be. I'm actually at the point where I'm going to either get a better LG ultra wide with a higher refresh or just fork out the money and get a Predator x34.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm someone who suffers from migraines bad enough that I get admitted a few times a year and given a morphine drip. As someone who would get these migraines, I would get them randomly, and looking for meaning in this random existence I would attribute it to things I ate or did that day. We always look to connect the dots, but I would probably say that in your instance the most likely explanation is chance. You were probably just going to get a headache that day, and because you were looking at the monitor you attributed it to that. I don't know why having superior image quality would give you a headache as the opposite would be expected, so go back another day and check out the monitor again. If you get another headache, you might be able to reach a conclusion, but really it's most likely coincidental.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube