add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA Supernova 550, 650 or 750 ?

GeinJo
  • 33 months ago

Hi everyone !

I'm currently looking for a new build and I wonder which PSU wattage would be better.

Here is my build : pcpartpicker

The compatibilty tool estimates around 470W, but I didn't know if it was relevant enough.

By the way, feel free to give me your opinion on the build itself. I'm going for a 4K friendly and I also wonder if Gsync is really worth it.

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA G3 750

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 33 months ago
  • 2 points

The 550w would be fine, though overclocking could push it close to the rated wattage. PCPP's wattage estimate is cautiously generous, though overclocking the CPU can add up to 70w on top of it. The SuperNova series (assuming the G2/G3 series) are perfectly fine to run even at 110% of the rated wattage without difficulty.

That said, I still wouldn't push it. It wouldn't be the end of the world but the 650w would definitely be a smarter option.

As for a unit to use with the SLI option (i.e. 850w), any of these would be a great choice. I tried to include some less expensive options than the Supernova, but they are still great units: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/MMrcCJ,PvDzK8,gRTrxr,h7Nypg/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube