add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler needed?

MattNasty

73 months ago

I just wanted to know if a CPU cooler was necessary? I have no intentions of trying to overclock it.

Computer build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dye5

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 4 points

Definitely no need for an aftermarket cpu cooler, the one that comes with it will do just fine.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

No, an aftermarket one is not necessary, however it will give better performance along with being quieter. That said, if you're not planning on overclocking (you can't anyways) and aren't worried about the noise, just use the stock one

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't overclock that CPU anyhow, and normally people would be asking why the Z77 board but at that price, why not?

For people who use the integrated graphics, I say it's worth getting a cheap aftermarket cooler which is still better than stock, simply for the same reason cooperred mentioned, being cooler and quieter than stock, but you have a dedicated card so you're putting less work on the CPU.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't believe this isn't mentioned yet - that's a Sandy Bridge processor. Although while it's certainly not weak, it's not as powerful as Ivy Bridge or Haswell. Since you're looking at the Z77 chipset, why not go with the i3 3220?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube