add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[How-to] Repair & tuneup Windows

noddeye
  • 34 months ago

In this topic, I'll show you how to attempt to repair your Windows system as well as perform a basic tuneup.

Repair
i. Run an SFC scan to check & repair important Windows system files
Open an elevated (administrator) Command Prompt. Type in the following command: sfc /scannow and wait for it to complete. If no errors are found, or SFC was able to repair everything - skip to step 3.

i. In case SFC can't repair something(s). This will repair WinSXS component store corruption, and after doing this, it's possible that SFC can successfully repair your system.

Type in the following command in an elevated (administrator) command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Wait for it to complete. Then run an SFC scan again.
If this does not resolve your issues, then the best thing to do is either repairing with your Windows installation medium, or perform an in-place upgrade. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Tuneup
i. Press and keep holding the Win key on your keyboard, and press (once) the R key. This will bring up the Run box. Type in the following command: cleanmgr
(The reason I am writing the command instead of the name [Disk Cleanup] is in case your computer has another interface language, it's easier to write the command instead of translating.)
This will bring up the Disk Cleanup utility. Click on "Clean up system files" (if a UAC prompt appears, press "Yes"). Now, select in the list what you consider not needed anymore, and press "OK". Wait for it to complete.
i. Again, open the Run box (Win + R keys) and type in dfrgui
This will bring up the "Defragment and Optimize Drives" utility.
Ensure that it is set to an automatic schedule. Select your Windows drive/partition (usually it's C:) and press "Optimize". Wait for it to complete.

That's it. I hope your computer works better after doing this. :-)

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube