add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will my PSU support an SSD drive?

fapulous
  • 75 months ago

I'm about to finalize my build but I'm thinking about adding an SSD drive (probably 120 gig) for gaming but I'm concerned my PSU. I bought an XFX PRO 650W 80+ PSU. I know its a solid PSU but I'm worried that I should go with a hire wattage PSU if I'm planning on adding an SSD drive. Is my current PSU ok or should I buy a 750? Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/fapulous/saved/3kj6

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866

HD:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm

PSU: XFX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 3 points

650W, if anything, is overkill for your components. You could get away with a 500W+ version, if you wanted to save a bit of cash. An SSD uses very little power, so you'll be fine.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I wanted to double check since this is my first build.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

JasonUK is right, SSD's are the least of your concerns in terms of additional wattage needed, especially when compared to a jump from that 760 to a 780ti or going SLI (for example). One trick I use is to play around with different parts in the list (add 2nd GPU, higher end GPU) to see how it affects the estimated draw before I put my final parts in, just to get an idea of what kind of room I'll have.

Really, the only logical reason to use a PSU that has 2x needed power would be if you have definite plans to SLI or do a serious GPU upgrade. You can probably save enough for the SSD by going down to a 500/550W, even with higher efficiency rating to make up for the gap.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube