add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best 1200w+ psu?

panthersoul
  • 32 months ago

Depending on how thread rippers biggest chip does. And Intel's. I9 7980x. Ill likely be moving to that chip. Even if i decided coffee lake would be a better investment. Id still need more power.

Atm i have a 850w gold evga psu. 6700k and 1080ti. It'll be sli soon enough. And my one is doing 360ish watts alone. So I'll need a bigger one just to sli. I don't know anyone personally who will even buy hardware like mine. So i have no experience with the higher wattage psus. I'm assuming certifications still mean alot. But. I'd rather hear from people who use or had used.

Tldr; i need a high watt psu for more hardware. Want opinions on best.

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

All very good psu's.

And the gold or platinum labels don't tell you anything about how good a psu is btw. They only tell you something about how effiecient a psu is not its quality. But the psu's above all had excellent reviews.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

These three offer the best performance: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/8LMFf7,V6vRsY,h9p323/

There are a lot of other 1kw+ supplies, but it's important to look closely at the platform as well as the voltage regulation and ripple suppression. The three supplies that I suggested offer the best performance below $350. The next ones up are only minutely better so unless budget is absolutely no concern, those three will be more than good enough.

I'm not entirely convinced you'll need a full 1200w, however. Even in full utilization, SLI will never bring the power consumption up to double your current, and that assumes you'll even still be able to dissipate that much heat.

So now math time.

• Usually, SLI in full utilization tends toward about 1.75 the consumption of a single card. We'll say this is 630w to be generous
  • The 7900x caps at 250w board draw before tcore reaches 98C. This is using a ridiculously high-end liquid cooler
  • Let's be overzealous and assume another 50w are consumed by storage drives and case fans

That brings us up to 930w with overestimation in most of the power-consuming parts

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

930w is still decent. I try to have decent over head. I have quite a few drives. I anticipated 1000w for my system with sli and a higher core count cpu. And my experience with ripples and dips in a psu. (The older corsair rm line). I figure some headroom.more for safety than anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube