add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best grease technique on CPU and cooler?

losse

73 months ago

I have only mounted a few coolers on CPUs.

I seem to do it different each time. Lately I just put an X across the cpu before adding the cooler, then smash it down on the cpu, then lift it up to see if i got good coverage and spread it around a little if not. Is this good, bad, or about right?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

Use the pea/rice method on flat heatsinks/blocks. Use the spread method on uneven ones like the Hyper 212 (non-EVO).

And don't lift the cooler once you smoosh it down. Like DoHbOy said, that lets you trap air bubbles when you put the cooler back down again. If you want to test coverage, get 2 other things that are flat and test your application method there.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I usually put a pea size amount in the center of the CPU, and put the heat sink on to let it spread out. From what I've heard lifting the CPU cooler after to see if you got good coverage actually leaves air pockets that degrade thermal performance

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube