add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is this noise?

Nemoh
  • 32 months ago

The sound (from about 0:19) keeps coming from around my Psu area when gaming.

https://youtu.be/Ml_AS9fwGGE

It's a day old build and I'm a noob. Anyone have any idea?

(I have a Evga 650w g2 gold+)

Comments

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

But the cpu cooler and gpu fans can be seen spinning without any real noise and then when I load a game the noise will begin while cpu and gpu fans are still roughly the same speed. This is what makes me think its the psu. What is odd is that the noise begins as soon as I load a game, like in the menus. Silly question but would the psu kind of like predict it's needed output and increase fan speed when you load up a game or is that stupid?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

One more thing: I mounted the psu fan down but only the bottom two screws lined up. The others were wayyyyy off. Could that be causing the sound? I think it sounds like the fan personally but still...

I just read that you definetly need diagonal screws in for a psu anyway. But the psu definetly doesn't align. I'm assuming it will align if the fan is up but I don't like the idea of it sucking warm air from inside the case. Ahhhh this is difficult.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like my old PSU which happened to be an EVGA 750W G2. It made all sort of buzzing sounds etc and was loudest part in my pc, so i ended up sellling it to my friend. I got right now an Seasonic 660w platinum PSU which is dead silent.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Are they reknown for being noisey then?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really sure. As far as i know they are high quality PSU. Maybe its just bad luck? You probably could RMA it if its annoying to listen. Edit. Googled and there is quite a bit complains about buzzing and fan noise.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube