add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying larger PSU's for future upgrading

SimonDivers
  • 32 months ago

How do you guys go about choosing a PSU if you know for sure you will upgrade your build within a few years? Do you throw in an extravagantly large power supply from the start, that could doubtlessly fuel a new gpu in the future? Or do you buy whatever can do the job at the time and include a new PSU in your upgrade budget?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

Power requirements aren't really increasing, so the question becomes "Do I plan to upgrade to higher power parts/overclock/add a second GPU in the future? Do I have space in the budget for the increased wattage?"

The difference between, for example, a 550w and 650w PSU of the same series can be negative due to a model being on sale, so having headroom for overclocking even high end parts later generally doesn't have extra cost. A second top tier GPU though can take a lot of extra power, but if I would drop $1k+ on a second GPU, an upgraded PSU shouldn't be out of the question at that point in time.

That's why you see me recommend a fairly narrow range of PSUs in builds. It isn't a good part to skimp on, most people don't need a kilowatt PSU ever, and then it is just a matter of which quality PSU is the cheapest while still supplying sufficient headroom for upgrades and overclocking.

If I knew I was going to, say, upgrade to an expensive workstation with dual GPUs and overclocked behemoth of a CPU, then I probably would consider spending the extra now on a Corsair AX1500i or something just so I wouldn't essentially waste money on the previous PSU.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube