add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case compatibility with ASUS

MikeA57

71 months ago

After selecting most of the other components for an upcoming build, when I get to the case, my list of available options is quite short. I'm wondering why though. I would like to see about using a Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full Tower case but I have to turn the compatibility off to get it to show up as an option. And as expected, when I pick it, the compatibility warning states that the case the the motherboard won't work together. Why?

Here's the system as I currently have it spec'd:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor;
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler;
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard;
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory;
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory;
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk;
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive;
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card;
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply;
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer;

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

It looks like the reason that's showing up as not compatible is that the motherboard is an SSI CEB form factor, but the manufacturer of the case makes no mention of that form factor being supported by the case. They list Micro ATX, ATX, and Extended ATX.

However, the SSI CEB mounting points are the same as ATX so you should be good there. The SSI CEB size is also smaller than Extended ATX (though larger than ATX), so you should be ok there as well. I'm confident you should be ok.

I'll see if I can update the compatibility verification to automatically include SSI CEB compatibility if EATX support is available (given that SSI CEB is a smaller form factor, and has matching mount points).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the quick reply Philip! I was just trying to shave some $$ off the build and when I got to looking at the short list of compatible cases (according to PCPP), it just didn't make sense. I'll check into the MOBO some more and see if there is another version of that one that may be more acceptable to more cases.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Doing some more checking and it seems like my selected MOBO should fit in the Thermaltake A71. According to Thermaltake, the A71 accepts MOBO of these sizes: 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX), 12” x 9.6” (ATX), 12” x 13” (Extend ATX)

The ASUS MOBO's dimensions are 12" x 10.5" and like you said, it's form factor is SSI CEB. I think I'll contact Thermaltake about this just to make sure.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube