add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Xbox One X. Will it or will it not compare to PC?

Nullarc77

28 months ago

So with the Xbox One X less then three months from Launch I was wanting to know what everyone else thinks about it. Microsoft says it will 6tflops of computing power. That would put it next to the gtx 1070 or the soon to be released Vega 56. But the ps4 pro has 4tflops, Yet it gets beaten in gaming by a g4560 and a 1050, Which has 1.4tflops. So if the XBOX is similar then it will be about equal to the performance of a 1050ti. Microsoft says it will be a 4k gaming box but if it really is equal to a 1050ti then all the games it can run will run the same if not better on the 1050ti.

With that being said i think this will be great for pc gaming. Since Microsoft said all of it's first or second party titles will be on the windows store along with the xbox store, This means we would be playing those games at 4k on lowend hardware. Since they would need to optimize the games for lowend hardware to run on the XBOX it would make sense that they would run well at 4k on something like a 1050ti.

Edit:That is what I think. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about the XBOX and how it will affect the PC gaming industry.

And yes the ps4 pro does get beaten by a 1050. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoG2n-JSuc

Edit 2: The only reason I brought up tflops is to show they are not a measure of gaming performance.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

The consoles usually compare to a cheap gamer pc in specs, but not in game play or overall capability... Different beasts. Think of any console as a cheap pc with limited use, bad control methods, pricey games, a use tax to play them online, and a generally useless item outside the few decent games they get that won't ever make it to pc.

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

Bias. I'm against consoles as well, but I try to provide a balanced view.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

He was just stating the facts about consoles. Everything he said he factual. It is balanced because he compared it to a pc of the same price.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Edited before you saw it. His latest revision is more considerate.... Giving a +1 for rethinking!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. That makes a lot of sense. Because I did not see how anything he said was bias. But if he edited it after you commented that would explain a lot.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

it wasnt edited

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

T-flops are a measurement of raw power. What you do with them and where they are distributed matters more. For example, a Raspberry Pi "supercomputer" can measure anywhere to tens of gigaflops to several teraflops, but it can't game. Meanwhile, a Pentium and Titan XP combo can measure in the teraflops, but it won't game because most of the Titan's teraflops are wasted when the CPU doesn't feed it enough information. And an Intel Core i9-7980XE + a GTX 1060 will measure about equivalently to the Titan + Pentium, and it is an effective use, so the teraflops are being used the most efficently. The CPU is supplying the GPU with enough information to pump out the most frames possible. About the only places where TFlops matter is cryptocurrency mining and supercomputer competitions. The TFlops don't mean anything.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I know tflops are not a measure of gaming performance. The only reason I brought it up was to say that. I said that the ps4 pro with 4.3tflops is comparable to a gpu with 1.5. And a 7700k with 2 titan XP gen 2 will beat an i9 with the same gpu. Not by much but it will still beat it.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

PC ranges from integrated graphics to two Titan Xp's. The PS4 Pro is somewhere around RX 470 territory, not GTX 1050. The X will likely be the same and they will have the same potato CPU so they will still have 30FPS in most games and will still have FPS issues in CPU heavy games. Its not going to effect it at all since games still need to be compatible with the regular consoles.

• 28 months ago
  • -2 points

The ps4 pro is about the same as a 1050. This has been proven time and time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoG2n-JSuc

The ps4 pro is actually worse in some games. And in all the games the 1050 is running at higher graphical settings.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

He definitely isn't running some games at max settings like GTA V which would be at a grinding halt with a GTX 1050 which makes me question the rest of his testing. Considering the normal PS4 is about on par with a GTX 750 Ti the Pro has to be a lot more powerful to be able to run upscale 4K and a GTX 1050 does not have enough power for that at non vomit inducing FPS.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-480-vs-Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti/3157vs2187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYG-7T2LVDc

http://www.pcgamer.com/gtx-1050-ti-review/

Its somewhere between a GTX 1050 Ti and a RX 470. As for where exactly unless someone can conduct better testing we aren't going to know.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gtx-1050-ti-review/

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

Intel graphics can upscale. All it is displaying a 1080p image on at a 4k resolution. It is the same as rendering at 1080p.

And gta V is not that hard to run at 1080p. The 470 can do 1080p ultra at well over 70fps in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6GI-YKEyg

As you can see the 1050 gets almost 60fps at 1080p ultra in gta and still does great in all the other games. The ps4 pro is worse then the 1050.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

. All it is displaying a 1080p image on at a 4k resolution. It is the same as rendering at 1080p.

No, its a lot more than that. A GTX 1050 would fail hard at this. Going from ~720P to 900P in most games to ~1800P and keeping the same FPS and settings requires a metric ton more power than a ~30% jump in performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBlwdkHWFs

And gta V is not that hard to run at 1080p. The 470 can do 1080p ultra at well over 70fps in the game.

It is hard to run at max settings, for max settings you would actually want a GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 TI.

As you can see the 1050 gets almost 60fps at 1080p ultra in gta and still does great in all the other games. The ps4 pro is worse then the 1050.

What is ultra? There are a ton of settings in GTA V. I run around 70FPS in GTA V at close to max settings with a overclocked R9 390. Also the GTX 1050 does not have enough VRAM to run GTA V on ultra settings.

The ps4 pro is worse then the 1050.

Its not even close to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yJUNyOS95o

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

I have provided with you several benchmarks of the 1050 playing gta V at the ultra preset at above 50fps. If you are saying that all of my benchmarks which are from several different sources are rigged then you just can't except the fact that a $100 gpu can do what a $200 gpu did a year and a half ago.

As to the first video it was made before the release of the ps4 pro and everything he said was based off what sony said. As to the second video. If you look at the texture quality you will see that all the games are running at higher settings on the 1050 then they are on the ps4 pro. And the fact that he capped the fps for either gpu at all is just stupid. In some games I have turned off vsync and my framerate shot up and the minimum fps was above what the max used to be. If you cap the fps at 30,60 or even, 120 you are running the benchmarks wrong if you are going for the framerate statistics.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't, by the time a new round of GPU's and CPU's come out it'll be irrelevant.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Compare in raw performance, no it will not compared to high end rig's you can build. However it does not need to. the game's can be optimised for hardware, capped at 30 FPS which while on the surface may sound bad, is okay if its consistent. Other considerations like cost' ease of use, social etc all come into the mix.

The gaming industry will be no different from now really. some game's may see things like higher textures or whatnot, but with the original PS4 and Xbox one S still being made, the game's will also need to be built to cater for those in mind.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

For the most part I agree. The only reason I mentioned tflops was to give an example of how it is not an example of gaming performance. But most people did not realize that,

Honestly I think the reason most console games are capped at 30fps is not for consistency, But because they just can't hit 60fps. A 1050ti can play games at the same graphical settings as a ps4 pro and get well over 100 fps. But since most pc gamers who buy a 1050ti do not have a high refresh rate monitor, They increase the graphical settings to high or ultra so it looks good and runs at a consistent 60fps at the same time.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I think the reason most console games are capped at 30fps is not for consistency, But because they just can't hit 60fps

So that would mean one in the same. If you can't consistently hit 60 FPS, make sense to drop down to a a multiple of the number to give a consistent and smooth image at 60 fps. Now yes your right in that consoles are unlikely to be able to push 60 FPS, but makes more sense to target a number at which the console can for most the part render the game smoothly then let it run at any FPS which is higher then 30 but unable to hold 60 steady.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The takeaway from your analysis in the first four sentences should be that you can't compare a PC and a console based upon teraflops alone, and just stop trying after that.

The console already can't run games made for it at 4K, and it's not even out yet. Really Microsoft and Sony would have been better off if they never mentioned or used the term 4K in their promotional materials for these new consoles. They should have focused on nailing high refresh rate 1080p first, something their previous consoles still couldn't do, with 4K as a bonus that works 'for some titles'.

The best thing about what Microsoft is doing for PC gaming is bringing Xbox titles to PC. Even if its via the much maligned Windows Store, the option to have Halo and Gears of War on PC is awesome. Hopefully they continue in this direction.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

That is what I was trying to say. You can't compare tflop to tflop because that does not provide a gaming perspective. I was asking what gpu the XBOX will compare to. A 1050ti or a 470. I was asking that based off the ps4 pro and the fact it is a 4.3tflop console is less powerful in gaming then a 1.5 tflop 1050.

As far as the high refresh rate part. Most pc gamers do not even play above 60fps. Most people just go for better graphics. I am not saying that no one goes for high refresh rate. I am saying that since the market for high refresh rate gaming is kind of small, Why would Sony and Microsoft target that.

Thanks for your feedback and I totally agree with you about them bringing their xbox games to pc. Best thing they are doing. But they did put Halo Wars 1 remastered on steam which is awesome. I want to get it on the holiday sale.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It's like asking what kind of apple does an orange compare to? A red delicious or a gala? XD

You're right about refresh rates for PC gamers. But, 60fps would be "high" for consoles as-is, lol. Even better though, high refresh rate TVs sitting with their high refresh rate unutilized, is a missed opportunity. The PS4 Pro and XboneX (god, that name) could have ushered us into a high refresh rate revolution, but instead they decided to continue their trend of overpromising and underdelivering. All for the sake of marketing the term "4K" over providing a kickass gaming experience.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the XBOX will support a lot more 1080p 60fps titles. And yes you can easily compare them. The whole point of creating this topic was to ask what kind of pc the XBOX will compare to. More specifically the gpu. 1050ti or 470 was the primary question. Yes there are a lot of things about consoles that are hard to compare to pc but gaming performance is easy to compare. Which one has better graphics and framerate.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem is it's still using a old outdated CPU which hamstrings the performance at lower resolutions, which is why they are marketing higher resolutions up to 4k. The only reason the Pro is beaten by low-end GPU's is because of the terrible CPU inside.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Taco Bell is giving away an Xbox One X with the Quesarito Box... In all seriousness though, the One X seems like the best option for people who want 4k gaming, but not a gaming PC. However, for those of us who love to have a decent pc, then it really doesn't make sense (unless you want to play with your Xbox friends).

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to play with your xbox friends that adds an extra $60 per year. Since the one X will likely be replaced in 3 years that is almost $200 extra. And not to mention the extra price you pay for the games. On average it costs 30% more to buy a game on console. And if you wait for one of the 3 or 4 yearly steam sale you can get games for even cheaper. In the end it actually costs more to play on console if you build a pc for the same price. And the chances of winning that on X from tacobell is almost 0. And looking at the one X I think it will not have enough cooling and will thermal throttle. And if it does then the stuff microsoft has released about it's performance is probably from before the throttleing starts. That is just a theory and we will need to wait to see if it comes true but to cool a gpu that is supposed to be as powerful a 1060 wile crammed into that box which is the size as a one S then there will be some problems. Again this is only an educated guess.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What won't what? I mentioned a lot of things and i would like to know of which you are speaking.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Well said. I think consoles should master 1080p 60fps before they jump up to 4k.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

That would require a totally new console that would incompatible with current console games since the FPS issue ultimately is caused by the weak CPU.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Same. 30fps is unplayable since i switched to pc. Don't know how I put up with it for so long.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

He must need glasses. Anyone who can't tell the difference needs to have their vision checked

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it will look worse then 4k lowest possible settings on pc. No way something with a cpu that old and slow can compete in the modern gaming area.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Did you even read the full thing. I was saying that tflops are not a real measure of gaming performance. The fact that a 4.3 tflop console gets beaten by a 1.5tflops 1050.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Straight up you are comparing a Nvidia and AMD GPU which means that TFLOPS to FPS ratio is very different. This is why the RX 480 with 5.6TFLOPS performs the same as the GTX 1060 6GB which has 3.4 iirc. Thus making even mentioning TFLOPS in the first place a stupid argument

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been saying that the entire time. TFLOPS are not an example of gaming performance. If you read my first reply to him you will find that I said that tflops do not matter in gaming. The reason I brought it up in my original post was to point out the fact that it does not matter.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The fact that it does get beaten by a 1050 as this video proves. The ps4 pro is a piece of crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoG2n-JSuc

The reason I brought up tflops is to state the fact that they don't matter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube