add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CM storm trooper vs CM storm trooper stryker

gioforever

71 months ago

Hi. Can anyone explain what is difference between them aside side window. I want to put 3 120 mm fans in front of storm trooper and exclude optical drive, because i have external one. I saw that one guy made such way with storm trooper stryker, is this possible with black storm trooper?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi if you're talking about my VALKYRIE build, I put in a third front fan by buying an extra HDD cage from the Cooler Master online store :) The cage fits right into the triple 5.25" bays.

The front of the Trooper/Stryker is sort of unique/a pain because the fan mounts aren't part of the chassis itself. You can only screw fans into hard drive cages. You can use hot glue or velcro if you really want to, but I decided on the more elegant way (plus I get 4 extra HDD bays, so it's alright).

When you buy that item you get the cage and a black 120mm fan attached to the front, so you don't need to buy another fan for that third mount if you don't want to.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/cm-storm-trooper-hdd-cage/

I had the same question as you when I was shopping for my case. Basically there are only 3 factors that change between the two cases:

• Color: Obviously, the Trooper is black while the Stryker is a white-black contrast
  • Window: Again pretty obvious, the Trooper does not have a window while the Stryker does (although you can buy a black windowed side panel - also from the Cooler Master online store)
  • Front panel eSATA: the Trooper has 2 eSATA ports on the front panel while the Stryker does not

Aesthetics is up to you, but in terms of practicality, the two share the same specs (including 2.5" hot swap bay) and have the same compatibility except for the front eSATA. On the Stryer the front panel PCB does not have those connectors, and the spots on the case for those ports are uncut.

Front panel eSATA connects to a standard motherboard SATA port, so all it really does is bring one of your SATA ports to the exterior. If you need eSATA and don't have a motherboard with rear I/O eSATA, then this can be useful. But if you have that rear eSATA on your board or you don't need eSATA, then I wouldn't factor the Trooper's eSATA into your buying decision at all. Deciding on the two imo should be based purely on aesthetics if front eSATA doesn't matter to you.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it was your PC mate, very good, build and idea with 3rd fan in front. Thanks for answer,it was very helpful

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Good luck with your build - the Stryker is fun to build in :)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

LeMonarque, can i mount 2x 140 mm fans in the front of CM Storm Trooper/Stryker?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube