add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Semi Vs. Full Modular?

BigRig75
  • 31 months ago

I have been researching Semi Vs. Full modular PSU's for a while and the only distinction I seem to find is that Full modular PSU's primary motherboard connector(s) are removable. Assuming this is correct, can anyone explain what the advantage of this feature would be given the motherboard will always require a power connection? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

You can also get custom cables such as from CableMod, or just replacement cables without replacing the PSU.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

the only distinction I seem to find is that Full modular PSU's primary motherboard connector(s) are removable.

No, that's not the rule. The only distinction is that all cables are detachable on full modular, while semi modular have some cables detachable - it's up to the brand to decide which ones. They can leave just the mobo cable fixed, or mobo and EPS, or mobo, EPS, and a single PCIe, etc.

With fully modular PSUs you can sleeve the cables more easily, or install them more easily instead of routing them like a snake by just one end.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube