add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
R0yalCarnage420
  • 31 months ago

Whats the difference between GOLD, PLATINUM, and TITANIUM? And which would your prefer?

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

These are labels for efficiency. Titanium is the highest rating, requiring 94% at half load, and even a requirement for 90% at 10% load (there is an entire table of requirements for each rating, with 80+ being the lowest with... 80%+ as the requirement at 20%, 50%, and 100% load).

Good PSUs tend to be at least 80+ Bronze certified. Good budget units, like the Corsair CXM series, have this. Some of the most popular high tier units (for the average consumer) such as the Bitfenix Whisper M, EVGA G2/G3, Seasonic Focus Gold, and Corsair RMx are gold certified. Higher certifications come at a price, and generally are for more specific use cases, such as where heat and noise must be kept minimal, mining rigs (higher efficiency means lower cost of production), or very high power systems.

Generally, there are four things I look at when recommending a PSU: power required (including headroom for overclocking or upgrades, and to maintain the efficiency sweet spot), heat\noise requirements, professional reviews of PSUs (JohnnyGuru is an excellent resource!), and budget. I lean heavily toward the $70-$100 dollar models of the previously mentioned Gold rated units for most users.

For your case, you have a very high-end system and would likely see some respectable overclocks. I'd aim for about an 850w PSU, and budget doesn't appear to be a concern.

The lowest priced one that is close to what I'm looking for would be a 750W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. It doesn't have as much headroom as I would like but it is under $100. The 850w version is about $110 and would be an excellent choice.

The next sensible step up would be an EVGA 850W P2 at $150, or Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w at $190.

If you wanted to add a second 1080 ti later and overclock everything with decent headroom, I'd recommend the Rosewill TOKAMAK 1200.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 7 points

least efficient kind of PSU out there. Likely to burn down a house.

Still has a chance to burn down a house, but not as much.

is good for lower end budget builds.

good for mid-tier builds.

are great for the higher end builds that require more power.

Efficiency has literally nothing to do with how likely a PSU is to burn, and it has absolutely nothing to do with how much power a computer requires, or what "tier" is the build, whatever that means.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Quick tip: That guy has received a lot of downvotes for his answer and is actually very wrong. I would strongly advise not following his advice. Efficiency means very little, and the amount of money saved is negligible. One reason is that companies have a huge likelihood to cheat on their test, bait and switch, round up, etc. Another thing to think about is the actual professional reviews of the power supplies, which detail the quality of all of the internal components and help you know which one is the best buy. I could easily list off some bronze power supplies that are better than a lot of gold ones, so again I'd really not trust the efficiency.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, Thanks for clearing things up for me!

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

A simple hyphon (not sure how thats spelled, too lazy to look it up) indicates that it is the least efficient kind of PSU out there. Likely to burn down a house.

Still has a chance to burn down a house, but not as much. An Example is any Logisys PSU.

Wat. Efficiency has absolutely nothing to do with build quality and as far as I know no Logsyis PSU has been rated by 80+/.

good for mid-tier builds.

Efficiency has nothing to do with build quality or performance.

are great for the higher end builds that require more power

Most Platinum PSUs will provide more than 800W

These PSUs usually provide the most power

Efficiency has nothing to do how much power it can output.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube